Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Today's Activity

ctnchpr
12 years ago

I finally found the time to set up the camera & tripod, and get a video of my hummers. The swarm extended out beyond the view of the camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

Comments (18)

• beaniebeagle
    12 years ago

Not fair. I get 3 or 4 and you have millions.

That is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

That is a fantastic video! I have simular numbers, but lots more feeders. Hope to find my 7 year-old tape of my hummers so that I can put it on DVD. I am going to find my tripod so that I can film my current birds. Great video once again.

• natal
    12 years ago

That is impressive, but if I'm totally honest I'm glad it's your yard and not mine. How often do you have to refill the feeders?

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

ctnchpr

Awesome video! That is impressive for sure. How many would you guesstimate you have? This has been my best season ever when I have had days of 30 plus hummers. Lately though I still have hummers more in the 7-10 grouping.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, folks!!

natal, I refill them daily. It is a lot of work, but they're lots of fun - and they eat tons of skeeters!

Steve, I have no way of guessing how many. In addition to the cloud that's around the feeders, there are so many in the trees.
    30!!!! It's easy to get 30 in the woods, but to get that many when living in the open as you do is a remarkable achievement!! Congrats!!!

• jomuir
    12 years ago

all I can say is wow. If I didn't see the video, I wouldn't believe you have that many at your feeders!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jomuir, Like you, I'm skeptical of anything I see or read on the internet.

This video shows activity at 1 of 11 feeders on Monday. I still have several adult males; a female hitting the LIR's yesterday was so fat, she could barely fly. A cold front going through tomorrow will probably send most of them South, it's getting late in the hummer season for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

ctnchpr

Nice vid and thanks for your comments about my location. I have worked and changed things here and was and am happy to have had such a great season here. Also last evening as I sat out just before dark I had a nice swarm of about 15 hummers so they are still coming thru here. Also I have one adult male that has been in my backyard protecting that turf for several days now and boy is he fat and I never see him in front. Im surprised he is staying here when he is fat enough to move on.

I also know what you mean about hummers being so fat they can hardly fly as Im seeing some of the same and hummers resting on flower stems and such.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I meant to ad this shot in above post but forgot so for anyone interested this guy has allowed me to break my late record for males 6 days in a row now.

{{gwi:1001271}}

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Steve. It's good to hear that you're still getting some through your place, maybe my hummer season will last longer than I had expected, too.

• salliestarr
    12 years ago

We still have 3 females. Interesting thing is that one of the females will hover and act very interested in one of my regular bird feeders. The feeder is a dark burgundy color and not a bright red. She will spend several seconds at it before coming to the hummer feeder. Each morning I feel joy when I see one of my girls on her favorite dogwood branch. I dread the morning when she will be not be there.

• coolaces
    12 years ago

awesome video;and i get excited when i have 4 in my yard,lol; aweek ago i had about 10 , and now back down to 4;this is the first summer i had a male all summer in my yard chasing everyone out;before this year would only see a male a few times during the summer. he left about 2 weeks ago and the females took over. cntchpr and steve keep putting up pics,there so enjoyable. thanks pete

• julysun
    12 years ago

Most of the males here are gone, still have MANY females. I am near Galveston Bay so the next jump for them is Freeport or Panama! I just try to fatten them up a bit before the long flight.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had to separate the feeders, so my group is less than 10. No adult males in 2 days.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Still 4-5 here this morning , no males since 9-21.

• julysun
    12 years ago

Just two females today, season about over.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Did see 4 on feeders early today, but usually had just a couple. Got a pic of hummer at the window with Bambi about 30 feet past her. This one still has spots.

• nanaboo
    12 years ago

7:00 am, temp. 53 degrees. Two very fat females are sipping this morning. My hummers this year were very skittish. They do not sip long, or perch long enough for pictures! They do a lot of chasing.
    I do enjoy and appreciatae everyone's pictures.
    Nana

Sponsored
More Discussions