Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kioni_gw

Will scarlet runner bean grow - 4ft high chain fence?

kioni
15 years ago

As far as I know, hummingbirds do not stay in my area to nest, but they do pass through as they migrate up north for the summer, then again in the fall when they go back down south. I spied 2 (or the same one twice) checking out my yard (glads, snaps, petunias) on 2 different Saturdays, the third week of August. I would like to know if I plant some scarlet runner beans for them next summer, will the vines grow horizontally along the length of a fence 4 feet in height, or will the vines get all sloppy and try to find something to grab higher than the fence? (of which there is nothing for the vines to grab higher than the fence).

My other thought is to try to grow some beans in a large pot near some spruce trees I have, would they vine up that? I would just like to have something planted that could give them a feed or two should some pass through again next summer. I will look for seeds of Lady in Red salvia, I have some room to plant that also.

Thanks all,

~ kioni ~

Comments (6)

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

kioni, I grew some scarlet runner beans on a 7' trellis this year. The runners grew past the top of the trellis, wrapped around each other until they couldn't support their weight, fell down, then grew up again - no horizontal growth.

If I could suggest an alternative - I also grew Cypress vine (Hiedra colorada) this year, and my hummers love it!! And IMO, the foliage & flowers are more attractive.

I have about a gazillion Lady in Red seeds (and still collecting), so if you haven't found any by Spring, send me an e-mail, and I'll mail you some.

Cypress vine...

• kioni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the photo and suggestions, and the offer of the seeds. Most seeds are packed away for now in the stores here, so I'm not sure if Lady in Red Salvia is carried, but I do plan to look for it in the spring, along with that cypress vine. Wow, is that ever striking. I searched for it on the internet, it is some type of morning glory? My mom grows the blue varieties, if she knew this was out there....I couldn't find out if that would do as well in my zone, but there is a way to find out, right? (Grow it and see!)

Thanks again,

~kioni~

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Ctnchpr, I already bought Scarlet Runner Bean seeds to plant next spring but have been wondering what support to use.

Reading that 7' wasn't even enough is kind of scary...LOL.

What shape and material is your trellis made of?

I've been surfing the net for trellises and there are so many shapes and materials.

Wondering if I need wood or sturdier metal to hold up the Scarlet Runner Bean vine.

Seems like Bamboo trellises are reasonably priced and read they're sturdy. Just don't know what shape is best...wall, tee-pee, obelisk, fan, etc.

I'm not handy in the least so I'll be buying whatever I end up using for Scarlet Runner Bean and, after seeing your photo, trying a Cypress Vine.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

newbie,

I grew the beans in my garden on a basic frame - nothing ornamental. Two 4"X4" pressure treated posts/Two 2"X4" stringers/covered with light gauge welded wire fencing.

• alexthegardener_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Two solutions:

1) Weave the shoots through the fence.

2) (much easier) When the leading shoot reaches the top of the fence, pinch it out to force lateral growth lower down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Learn to Grow

• Godlovessher_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been growing them in a bed right next to screened in porch. I gave them fishing line to climb up. They grew almost all the way to the roof of our house. This year I will be trying them in a bed with a 4-6 ft. high handicap ramp to climb up. I will try cutting main stem and see if it will branch out horizontally.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions