Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 Hummers at once

Posted by NickRose Z9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 23:18

Looking out my second floor window I saw the most amazing site. The second floor feeder had 4 feeding and one hovering waiting for an opening. I wish it was lighter outside and the camera was near by. They must have been all female, since there was no fighting? Hopefully this will happen again.

Is there anytime of the year where there is more females then males?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 Hummers at once

Was it in the evening? I know for the final feedings here, the hummingbirds are much more likely to share. It is their final tank up of fuel before morning, so they don't want to expend energy giving chase. By morning, the truce has expired.

I'm not sure about the male/female ratios. That answer may vary depending upon your location, the species and if they migrate or just shift within their range.

o

Yes it was evening and becoming a little dark. You could be right that it was a evening truce. Either way to was a beautiful sight to see.

o

A beautiful sight indeed, Nick. One of those special moments.

About females/males: the books say males migrate first, then females and juvenules follow on later. Not sure what kind you have, but for ruby-throats, females and juveniles look alike. I don't know any way to tell them apart. This time of year could be a mix of females and juveniles or even all juveniles. The juvies don't get male plumage til the second year.

Again the books say females fight, too. They fight to keep other hummers out of their territory--their food source. Like us trying to protect our bank account with safes, bank guards, etc, I guess.

There's a pecking order when they're migrating, with the youngest birds at the bottom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here