Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcmarti

where are the hummers this year?

rcmarti
16 years ago

It seems I had a very poor showing this September for hummers. The past seven years I've had nearly 100 show up at the beginning of the month and stay for about two weeks. This year however I only had about 10; and they only stayed for a few days. Is there anyone here in South Texas that also had a low turnout for the migration? Anyone from the Hummerbird fest in Rockport, Texas also have a low turnout? Any info would help.

Comments (4)

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey rcmarti!

What part of south Texas are you from? I live in Rockport and am one of the Hummer Homes.

Here is a message that I posted earlier today on another forum.

LOTS OF HUMMER IN ROCKPORT---FINALLY!
    October 3 2007 at 10:03 AM
    Linda (Login ltcollins1949)
    Hummingbird Member 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I guess our little guest were just trying to let us know that they decide where they will go and when! We were talking yesterday, that they, the HB's, are two to three weeks late for their party.

This is the first year that I have had the masses of hummers this late in the year. I'm sure that the birds and Mother Nature know what they are doing, but it has been a big surprise to everyone.

This is the 12th HB season that I have lived at this house. Each year, I see more and more hummers. And throughout the years, I have noticed that some years, most to all of the hummer activity takes place in the back yard close to the water. Other years most of the activity takes place out front.

Well this year, I have only a handful of hummers out back. I have 6 mini feeders out back, because they were not using them. The HB's are all out front. I have 6 large feeders and 8 mini feeders out front that I am refilling 3 times a day. I've been using lots of solution, but not as much as the years when they feed heavily out back.

My conclusion is that all of my hummer plants are out front, none in the back yard, in addition to the fields across the street from me which are full of hummer wildflowers. This year, we have had lots and lots of rain, and all of the plants look wonderful this year. And there are lots of hummers using the plants, BUT I have tons of hummers at my front yard feeders too. The past few years, we were in a serious drought, and I think that is why most of my activity was out back, i.e. fewer to no natural nectar so the HB were forced to rely heavily on the feeders.

Last night, my DH and I were sitting out on the front deck and the hummers were buzzing by us so fast and so many of them, that they looked like a swarm of bees, big bees, flying around everywhere. I commented to my DH that "I wish all of the people that came in for the HB Celebration could be here today." Oh well, maybe next year they will cooperate with us.

Also the funny thing is that most all of the birds are females, with only one or two males with the group. And I've also noted that the masses of females HB's tend to bicker less and feed more than males. And this is the first year that I have yet to see a Rufous, BB or Calliope. It is a strange HB year!

Also we are predicted to have a cool/cold front come in sometime Sunday. With that being the case, I'm sure most of the HB's will be heading to Mexico. Huh, I wonder if their passports are current? HA! If you live in south Texas, this means a lot considering you can just no longer run across the border for gas, food and medical services.

I'll let everyone know when they move out!

There is more information on this forum about some of the hummers in Texas.

Rockport Hummers

• kenn3d
    16 years ago

rcmarti

All our hummer are on their way south now, so I hope some of them will pay you a visit. They showed up here (St.Louis) rather late this year, but we had up to a dozen for awhile between late June and Sept.

Here are a few pics we took while they were here:
    {{gwi:1001461}}
    {{gwi:1001462}}
    {{gwi:1001463}}

... maybe you will recognize them when they arrive down there :)

Kenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots more hummer close-ups

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

What wonderful pictures! Thanks so much. Now send those birds on down south!

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Mine are still here in Austin! Maybe it's this horrible heat!

Sponsored
More Discussions