Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cal_dreamer

Anyone have this copper feeder?

cal_dreamer
15 years ago

I have been thinking about getting this feeder - anyone have it?

I know it is expensive and probably impractical, but I want it more for the "garden art" aspect, and if the hummingbirds drink out of it once in a while, that's great.

I have flowers in the yard the hummingbirds like, but I thought this would look nice hanging from a branch outside my kitchen window.

Comments (5)

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, forgot the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Feeder

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

It is quite attractive and it would be something for yours eyes and not the hummers. Its something you want so go ahead and get it. But this a hummer forum and I think most people on it are looking for things that attract hummers . Most hummer feeders have red on them which is one color that attracts them and the copper not having red, but Im sure if you have hummers they will find your feeder and drink from it. Personally I go for simple easy to clean feeders plus every plant in my yard caters to hummers, except for my tomato plants. But yes, You should get it, its what you like and want to beautify your landscape or area. Go for it.

• cal_dreamer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks - I have a similar feeder hanging outside that is falling apart - I think the hummer that "owns" it will make the transition to the new one OK. (I may paint the flower ports red though.)

I'm really going to focus on the garden to attract the hummingbirds, but it's a long-term project.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I had a feeder that was very similar to this one as my first feeder...I liked the copper look too. But even though it wasn't in a windy spot, every time it moved, sugar water spilled onto the ground below, attracting ants and bees and emptying the feeder much more quickly than the hummers could. When I saw a hungry hummer tapping the empty well and flying away angrily, I switched from the gravity-style to basin-style, which are spill-proof. The copper feeder was donated to a local elementary school, which I understand provided a lot of interest in May for the students.

• capn_cosmos
    15 years ago

I have one feeder similar to that design - except that it also has a "perch" all the way around the feeder and has RED colored feeder pedals. All of our hummers love this feeder. I believe it's because they don't have to waste energy to drink nectar, they just perch and drink all they want. The other two feeders that we have are HummZinger Brand feeders. The Hummzinger feeders are the moat type and also have perches and build in ant guards. They are by far the easiest to keep clean. We're located in Orange County, Ca. We have so many hummers all year long that I couldn't possibly try to keep track of how many birds we have entertaining us. Some hummers are bold & will come right up to my face. Others are very territorial and will chase off other hummers from their "private" feeder. Special Note: Never put food coloring in nectar and don't buy nectar from a store. Make your own nectar. Keep your feeders clean. Boil the water and then add the sugar and let it cool completely. Only supply a 4 to 1 nectar ratio. And the hummers will come and entertain you too!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions