Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

New hummer record!

hummersteve
12 years ago

And its a neeeeeeew! hummer record[ as thoughts of Tom Carnegie announcing a new track record at indy] sorry, rip Tom. Yes it is the latest in the year I have ever been blessed with a hummer.

not a great pic but here it is

{{gwi:1001594}}

Comments (22)

• lovefornature
    12 years ago

Nice hummersteve, but that poor little girl needs to get moving!! I still have my feeders up here in Central IL, but I have not seen a hummer here for about 2 weeks. :(
    I probably will be taking them down tomorrow.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Good for you Steve. My wife informed me a couple of days ago that the 45 birds on my last years calendar this month must have been 4-5 birds. Still have 3 to 5 birds on and off, but I am quiet a ways south of you. I am already looking forward to next year.

• suzykc
    12 years ago

We still have 2 here in South Central PA. This is the latest for us too.

• mamamillzee
    12 years ago

I put out a feeder for the first time today, and had visitors several times...maybe Anna's, that are in Oregon year round? Hope to see them again tomorrow. If I have several feeders, will more come?

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More hummers today- new record.

• julysun
    12 years ago

Still have two little gals,RTs, in Baytown southeast of Houston on the bay.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

mamamillzee, I had three winter over here last winter - while there is some natural feed for them I continued to keep feeders clean and filled when I don't normally have them out - and thawed, not easy a few times during winter, it meant bringing them in after dinner, putting them out before daylight. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if they left and went some place warmer but they aren't good about communicating their plans :) Still three visiting several times a day...one, quite territorial and feisty, not good about sharing. DH was washing off some garden tools in the back yard at dusk last night and I heard him say 'Knock it off - and quit the fighting!'...he was talking to the hummers.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I recently had my last hummer observed on the 9th but late this afternoon I viewed another one in my flowers. I had kept thinking I had heard the wingbeat of a hummer but had passed it off as wishfull thinking untill around 4:30.

• salliestarr
    12 years ago

WOW Steve. Hope it looked fat.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

salliestarr

Viewed the same hummer again this morning and it is picking up weight but not as fat as some Ive seen this year.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

are you trying to overwinter it? jk, I'm feeling jealous tho.

Took down and sterilized my feeders last weekend to store for the winter. I hadn't seen any hummers in over a week so crossed my fingers that it was time to close up shop till next spring. And now I'm thinking about putting a nectar feeder up at work in front of the break room. We saw a hummer working on some plants his summer.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im assuming I had the same hummer early today as the one that was here most of the day yesterday. I had a good feeling it would still be here since it was here up untill nearly dark feeding. This one never has gone to the feeder but loves the flowers especially the salvia guaranitica. Im certainly blessed this year and Im hanging on for this great ride for as long as it lasts.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hes still here. Today when I opened the blind I saw my migrant fly off. He needs to move on we temps in the 30s coming next week.

• salliestarr
    12 years ago

OH My.....let's hope the little (FAT) girl knows what she is doing hanging around. I haven't seen one in my area, southwest VA, since Oct. 5th. I still have my feeders up just in case. We are having warm weather but colder this week.
    I am trying to get myself in "winter mode" of THE WAIT for April when they are baaack :-) Wish we could know for sure in the spring if the same ones are back at the same feeders. I know this is what people think. This spring I want to try to see a marking of some sort. One friend had one with a white spot on his wing that identified him. Keep us posted about your girl......thanks...SS

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Way to go HummerSteve! Send him on down here to s. Arkansas. My birds left after the 14th. Had 3 or 4 that day.

• fairfieldcircle
    12 years ago

Way to go Steve!

We saw two RTHU's darting around our red cannas and black & blue salvias and red zinnias this weekend (October 15/16) here in Cincinnati (SW Ohio) which is pretty late for us, especially since we didn't put up any feeders at all this summer.

(It was rather amusing to have a time or two this summer when a disappointed hummer would come up to our kitchen window and scold us for not having any nectar feeders this summer!)

Keep us posted on any other developments! t.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My migrant was still here this morning , same story spend all his time at the salvia guaranitica plants and will not use the feeder.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rainy, cold 45 degrees windy and downright miserable yet he remains. Guess He doesnt feel he is quite ready to go just yet. He appears to be well-fed but I guess only he knows.

• coolaces
    12 years ago

hey steve i had 2 fighting in my yard on the 14 of oct..15 didnt see a 1;16 nothing till 2in the afternoon ;october 20 and she is still here;six days later then i have ever seen them;cold windy as all get out and still here;keep your feeders up ,im just south of chicago. and like you steve,just enjoying the heck out of it.lol;let you know when she is gone
    pete

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pete

I went 13 days past my previous record with a hummer. On the 19th I last saw my hummer at 5pm after that none and today none.

Steve

• coolaces
    12 years ago

october 21;last day i have seen hummer.9 days past my record; she came here skinny; wondering if she came from far away and stayed to fatten up(she was here for 5 days)and put on some good weight.it was fun having her here;going to be a long winter.lol

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Even though the recent frost got a lot of my garden it didnt destroy everything . Bees are still going over my prize sal. blue ensign[5x5] and there are still a lot of blue buds so I cut out all the bad I could see and watered it well so they might pop.

Also it is good to leave a feeder out at least till thanksgiving as I do. Never seen that late hummer but you never know. And leaving that feeder out could be the difference between life or death to that late straggler.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions