Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20023282

Do our Southern friends post here all Winter??

User
16 years ago

Or does this place go into hybernation? I sure hope so..

we need to know how our Hummers are doing down there. :)

Comments (26)

• dominidan
    16 years ago

Great question, alii. I was wondering the same thing. Another question I was thinking is do hummers stay to the main land or do they fly out into the caribbean islands, when they migrate?

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for asking another question that I wanted to know. I
    am leary of asking to many,I dont want to get snapped at. :)

• sitter_2007
    16 years ago

Why would anyone snap at someone for asking a question? I thought we were free to ask and not worry about touchy people I too would like to hear where these little fellows spend their winters. Mine are still here. Do they think it is still summer? I thought it was funny that some of you said yours are getting fat. I belileve mine are too.....Vb

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

alii,

Please don't hesitate to ask questions just because someone might snap at you. There's a jerk in every group, and I'm sure ours is no exception. But we'll just ignore them! My knowledge of hummers is very limited, but I'm more than happy to share it with anyone.

I've noticed in other threads that you're feeling a little sad about yours leaving. I only have about 3-4 left, so my day is coming soon. But I have videos! As soon as they can be loaded to Photobucket, I'll post them here, so check in occasionally. Maybe they'll help us through the winter.

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

Hey There!

Well I'm pretty far south of y'all. I live in south Texas about 150 miles both west and south of the Texas-Mexico border. I'm a Hoosier by birth, but I hated the cold weather and moved as soon as I got out of high school. I lived in Florida for 8 years, and then I moved to Texas where I've been living for 30+ years now.

OK, back to our little hummer friends and whether we still talk. Well, yes and no. For me it depends on whether I have any hummers that overwinter. Sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't, but when I get them I keep a few feeders up for them at all times, especially if the flowers aren't blooming. If we don't get a freeze (normally we get one every 7 years so), then many of my "annuals" actually become perennials, which is normally the case.

Rockport, Texas, where I live, is one of the last major points of departure for the RT hummers before heading south to Mexico. It is my understanding that the majority of them fly across the Gulf to get to Mexico although there are some of them that take the overland route to Mexico. And because of the vast numbers of hummers during the fall, we host the Hummer/Bird Celebration.

If you want more hummingbird information check out Hummingbird Forum. Everyone is great on this forum. You are never made to feel dumb. This was my last post on it Rockport Hummers. I'll be updating soon.

Also another good site to check out for information is Operation Ruby Throat.

Welcome to the world of hummers and don't be afraid to ask questions. That is how we learn.

• vireyafl
    16 years ago

Your ruby throats arrived here in northern Palm Beach County, Florida a few weeks ago. They don't all migrate to Mexico as some stay here all winter until Feb/March before returning north.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I have read over and over that they migrate to mexico and some to central america. There are members that report from costa rica with photos and Im wondering if the ones that go that far stay there. For some of the ones that are pictured there are very exotic and colorfull, certainly ones I would never see in the mid-west. Linda might have some of those in her festval in texas.

• esrungg
    16 years ago

I will be checking this site all winter so glad to know others will be here. I have read that they go to mexico and down to panama. It makes we scared to think the little fellows fly over the gulf to get there and its like 18 hrs non stop for them.......i cant imagine. Seems like it would be easier and safer to follow land.

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Ltcollins has recommended a very good Hummingbird Forum to visit all year around. Very active. Nancy Newfield keeps us up to date on her hummingbird banding. We all exchange ideas about plants that hummingbirds like to use for food. We exchange plants, seed, and lots of information.

Give it a try you will be glad you did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Forum

• backyardmama
    16 years ago

I thought sure that we would see many of your northern friends here in North Texas, but it has been very quiet for about 3 weeks now. I am still putting out feeders, but think that I must be a bit west of their route(between Dallas and Ft. Worth). I'm already planning a large hummingbird/butterfly garden for next year, so I hope this forum doesn't hibernate. I will need all the advice I can get.

• laurmela
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I am in So Cal and we have hummers all year! Here are a few pics from the other day. I am still fixing 6-10 cups of nectar a day! Mostly I have Anna's, but there are a few Allens. Still waiting on the rufous.

Enjoy

Laura

• leeslines
    16 years ago

Greetings from Apopka FL, Alii !

You will find that this site slows down during the winter months due to the lack of hummers in most of the peoples backyards. There usually is constant chatter concerning what one might try next year in the garden, and of course some one is always counting down the weeks, then days till the hummers come back to brighten up the yards and hearts of all of us here.

I still have hummers here feasting on my old standby, The Giant Cigar plant (Cuphea melvillea) , Fire Bush ( Hamelia Paten's) and of course no Southern Hummingbird lover worth his salt would be without the large Red Penta.

What ? No feeder ? Yep, that's right ! I don't have time to tend to the feeders every other day and by just providing the right plants, full of Nature's Nectar, I can enjoy my little friends in my yard year after year.

I'll continue to have the hummers here in Apopka as late as the 2nd week of December. they may be here a little later but so far that's the last I've witnessed them in My yard.

As for worrying about asking too many questions..... Never you mind.

Ask away, that's what keeps everyone learning the right from the wrong concerning the hummer's health and well being.

And we, as the hummingbirds stewards, can never know too much when it comes to tricks, tips and techniques to keep them coming to our yards and putting smiles in our hearts !

So, while it may get a little quiet in our backyards in the coming months, it's nice to stop in here and see what everyone has planned for next year.

As the spring migration gets nearer, the anticipation here on the site grows and grows. Nurseries will start sending catalogues and flyer's from local garden centers start being delivered with the morning paper.

Before you know it you're back outside digging and planting, with the motion of every falling leaf catching your eye as you yearn to spot your first hummer of the year.

Keep those questions coming Alii, someone , somewhere, needs to keep the thoughts of Hummingbirds flitting around their feeders and yard alive in their heart to get through the winter and by answering your question, they can keep that dream alive.

Lee

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I'm in GA and our temps have been pretty constant at high 70 mid 80's during the day and just recently dropping to the mid 40's -50's at night...but I have not seen a hummer for 3 weeks now...Is this normal?

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Its nice to hear from the floridians that they do have some hummers all winter, I often wondered about that and those of you that have winter birds florida and Cal. put some pics up during the long dull winter for the rest of us. Also I want to go to bat for the other forum "hummingbird forum" over on network 54.. I spend a lot of time over there and it is very active and really helps everyone get thru the winter . Once you spend a little time over there , you may not leave it. Over there a lot pics and videos are launched. I would suggest if you dont have high speed that you should get it for over there and elsewhere. I just recently updated from dialup to dsl and its like going from night to day.

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird forum

• bevinga
    16 years ago

I'm in NW Georgia and I, like rjinga, haven't seen any hummers in about three weeks. It's sad, but I know they've got to head on down to what will be a warmer climate in a couple of months. Even now, the temps are dropping to the mid-lower 40's at night and is supposed to be in the upper 30's in a few days.

Beverly

• bevinga
    16 years ago

Oh Drats! I meant to post these pics on my previous post. Here Goes!

Beverly

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

alii

This forum seems to die down somewhat during off season, so if youd like an HB forum that continues to be more active and more far reaching than this one you should try the hummingbird forum and that is also why I dont spend as much time here as I used to. Take a look and see what you think, heres a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird forum

• ltcollins1949
    16 years ago

I'm down here in zone 9a, and it has been a no-hummer seeing experience since mid-October! Bummer!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I live in Central Texas and haven't seen any in a while either. I miss the little acrobats. They were here early last spring so I hope they come back soon.

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Well I am counting the weeks until the Ruby's return. Can you belive it is only 9 weeks?

Here is a map from 2007. The Map for Spring 2008 will be posted sometime in February.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby Thoated Migration Map

• butterflygardener
    16 years ago

Hi, I am a frequent lurker on this forum. Just thought you would like to hear that three hummers are visiting me. I love to hear them "chatter" over territory. Lots of flowers here in my yard and gnats too! I haven't had any luck with them nectoring at a feeder. Keeping them well fed until they return to you all in the North.
    Kat

• dellwo
    16 years ago

Well, the star of my Nest Cam here in Orange County, California just laid more eggs! I'll have the camera back up in a day or two if you're having withdrawals.

--Joe

• tinyavenger
    15 years ago

Hi! I live in Las Vegas and have at least a pair that are still visiting the feeders in my back yard. Do I need to put anything else in their feeder, or do they need anything else for the winter? Thanks!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

One of the members of the Florida Forum just posted a couple days ago that he saw the first hummer of the year in Central Florida! We're all very excited and now watching for them daily. Of course, right after he posted the weather turned cold, but I'm watching anyway. Usually we start to see them in early February and enjoy them for a few weeks before most of them move on north to visit with the rest of you. We retain a couple pair throughout the summer but I don't see the swarms of that that I would like to see.

Kate

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I think I am the one who posted on the Florida Forum and yes I am still seeing the hummie, almost daily. In fact, I am wondering if there are two. The first one I saw I thought was almost all light in color under the throat while the one I am seeing now seems to have the pinkish red throat. It comes around throughout the day, I have seen it around noon and on and off throughout the afternoon. It loves to sit in the bare Crepe Myrtle trees and comes down to drink from my two feeders. I have taken some pictures and will post them soon. I no longer have my son's network to go through so I have to figure out how to use Flicker or Photobucket. We have our video camera set up and will also try to get some video tomorrow. We did get cold here - lost alot of my butterfly plants along with the hummer plants. I think it was also feeding on the Cape Honeysuckle today. This is the longest that I have ever seen one in my yard. I am so excited!

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

I posted my pictures yesterday on the Florida Forum under the posting about Rare Sighting in Lakeland. A guy who lives about 3 miles from me had an Allen's Hummer come feed in his yard. The article was in our newspaper. You can read it at www.theledger.com. It was in Monday's newspaper and the sighting has been verified by someone knowledgeable who bands hummers. Check out my pics of my Ruby and his article.

Sponsored
More Discussions