Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first hummingbird! Do they like roses?

Posted by riverterrace 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 9:45

Just in the last few weeks we've been visited by a tiny olive green and black hummingbird! I thought it was a strange bug the first couple times because it was after dusk and too dark out to get a good look at it. This week it has popped in several times at the end of the day when it is still light out and it's definitely a hummingbird. I planted a new butterfly boarder this year and the Verbena, Vervian, Salvia, Cone Flower, Veronica and Butterfly Bush are still in bloom so maybe that's what is attracting it, yet every sighting the bird has been hovering over my David Austin climbing rose, which is also still in bloom. Do hummingbirds like roses or is it just too shy to venture across the yard to the butterfly boarder when we are out in the yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first hummingbird! Do they like roses?

river, roses don't have nectar, so they aren't feeding. What they are probably doing in the climber is stalking their feeding plants. We have a feeder near a climbing rose and one hummer just sits there and if he sees another hummer go to the feeder, he darts out and chases it away.

Once after a rainstorm, I saw hummers visiting my roses. I realize they were drinking water that had collected on the leaves and in the flowers. It was pretty neat.

o
RE: My first hummingbird! Do they like roses?

Your first hummer, congrats! The bird may also be hunting insects on the roses. I've noticed that since I attracted hummingbirds to my garden that my roses have been virtually aphid-free!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here