Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chao_gw

Red Buckeye

chao
14 years ago

Has any one planted some of this. Red Buckeye, Cross Vine and Weigela Red Prince for Spring. Then Trumpet Vine and Mimosa for first of summer. Then plant Red Morning Glories, Cypress Vine and Cardinal Climber in Corn for Summer till now. Plus keep up my feeders. Red

Comments (5)

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Chao, I'm not familair with Red Buckeye.
    Mimosa is beautiful, but can be a nuisance to. It's a very messy tree, dropping tons of seed pods, expired blooms, and leaf fronds. If you have a swimming pool, I urge you to not plant one within twenty yards of it.
    Trumpet vine is lauded as a hummer plant, but I haven't had much luck with it. My hummers prefered the close by Salvia and Coral Honeysuckly to the Trumpet vine blooms. It can take several years to bloom. Mine bloomed the first year in a pot on my balcony after some sevear pruning, and a fertilizer shock. It grows like a weed and would have covered my balcony by now if not for pruning. Just plant it somewhere that it will have lots of room to grow.
    Rob

• bdriver71
    14 years ago

Had to look up Red Buckeye. I knew it as a Fire Cracker plant. I have 2 pots of it right next to one of my feeders. A big hit with them. They also like the trumpet vines. 1 grows into a pine tree, and the other inside a row of lilac. They haven't been a problem here, maybe because of Pa's shorter growing season. Like Rob said, the Coral Honey Suckle is a favorite. Also not invasive. Our red Morning Glories aren't as loved but reseed, keep expanding along our fence, and are well used. I love how they just keep blooming. Them, my Salvia, and Cleomes hang in there till the bitter end. We have 3 Mimosa trees and I'm trying to grow more from seeds. A favorite for sure. The hummers nest in a row of tall lilacs surrounding it and are all over it when it blooms. The lilacs have protected it from wind damage so far. Both of my others have snapped off branches from the wind. I don't feel they are messy. The pods are flat. Our nut tress are much messier. Elaine

• ga_karen
    14 years ago

Hi Chao! I am in sw Ga. Trumpet vine can be invasive down here...you really have to keep an eye on it. Almost the same with mimosa. They will have seedlings pop up all over. (I know, they are all over our 16 acres) I've never had red morning glories or cypress vine but I had cardinal climber last year & it is all over the place this year. I've not had red buckeye, cross vine and my weigela is just getting big enough to bloom.
    My hummers have had a ball with my honeysuckle. I have a red one and a gold one. They also love my zinnias and cosmos and 4 o'clocks.
    My 2 honeysuckles were the first things to get blooms in the spring and they are still blooming. The hummers have enjoyed other plants as they bloomed.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I do have Red Buckeye, Cross Vine and several Weigela in addition to three native honeysuckle vines for Spring. I don't have morning glories any more as they got out of hand reseeding in my neigbhbors shrubs but I do have, Cypress Vine and Cardinal Climber for Summer in addition to many many salvias and other plants

Penny

• chao
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thank yall very much.Red

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions