Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Anyone in the northern half still seeing any hummers?

eigdeh
13 years ago

Steve? Tracey? Anyone?

I have not seen one in a few weeks. I thought I had some activity last weeks since one of my small 2.3 ounce feeders went down almost an inch in one day, but I noticed yellow jackets sipping where the base meets the top. Killed three of them within a few minutes and the activity completely stopped, so I am thinking that those 3 jackets were very busy that day.

Comments (10)

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Nothing here; my last one was seen on October 3rd, I believe. That was the latest I'd ever seen one. She was hitting the flowers, not the feeder at all. I haven't had any bees at the feeders, yet. I think I normally get a swarm at a feeder some time in November. I get a kick out of seeing them though ;)

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

I still have a window feeder up front and rear, but no hummers since the 29th of sept. which is now over 2wks being hummerless. I still have some flowering considering the frosty nights recently and salvia darcyi has lots of blooms , maybe its location.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tracey and Steve,

I still have 3 feeders out, I am thinking to just leave up one at this point.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I went from 3 feeders to 2, but still keeping them out. Still nobody passing through, that I know of. Not much blooming, still Orange Noah MGs, Yvonne's Salvia, Gartenmeister fuchsia, most annuals still flowering (except petunias), and my Mina lobata FINALLY decided to bloom. Guess I didn't fertilize enough. That's been such a hummer magnet in the past; too bad they missed it this year.

• pacer25jones
    13 years ago

Saw one two days in a row, yesterday and today!

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lucky you pacer25jones!

Tracey, I have 2 feeders up for the last couple of days. I am thinking that I will be taking them down soon.

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

Last sighting here was Oct. 2nd. 2 weeks later than usual. Don't have much time to watch now though, with back to work school bus driving. 2 feeders still up and lots of their favorites still blooming. B&B salvia, coral honey suckle, cuphea, lady in red salvia,etc. No killing frost here yet, but very close temps.

• chrissie1946
    13 years ago

Hello everyone! We're in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and today it has been minus 3 degrees. Our little Anna's Hummingbird visited the frozen flowers today and I do think they survive on insects at this time of year...well until the Spring they must.

Anna's Hummingbird is relatively new to Vancouver according to my bird book and they are a joy to see. Our summer variety, the Rufus Hummingbird is long gone to warmer climes.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I still have an immature male RT at my feeder and wrapped Christmas lights around it today because the sugar water was starting to freeze.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

What I thought to be an immature RT turned out to be a HY male Anna's hummingbird! He was identified and banded yesterday and he stuck around for a few hours then took off. I haven't seen him in over 24 hours. I'm hoping that anyone reading this will leave their feeders out, maybe "Junior" will be visiting you as well.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions