Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very late adult male ruby-throat

Posted by hawkeye_wx z5 east-central IA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 11:43

Two days ago an adult male ruby-throated hummer showed up in my yard. Adult males have always been gone here no later than the second week of September, so this sighting is pretty remarkable. I've never even seen a juvenile hummer this late. He is still here this morning using both the feeders and flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very late adult male ruby-throat

• Posted by jomuir z5 detroit (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 13:27

they seem to be really late this year. I wonder if the mild weather is the cause, though I thought their migration was more related to day/night length?

o

It is November 1st and my hummer is still here. In recent days I've seen him mostly flying off somewhere after drinking at the feeder, but this morning he appears to be insect-hunting in the yard. We've had a lot of freezes, but I suppose there are still a few flying insects left.

o

My hummer has now been here for more than two weeks. As we head toward mid November this little guy is really starting to push his luck. The normal low temp is down to near freezing and it can easily get down into the teens if any good batches of arctic air dive down into the central US. It appears the coldest air of the season will move in early next week.

o

After being here for three weeks, my hummer was apparently not able to survive 36 hours of below freezing weather and a low temperature on the second morning in the upper teens. I had the warm nectar out at first light again this morning, but the hummer never showed up. It's unknowable why this little guy never flew south.

o

• Posted by jomuir z5 detroit (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:43

He may have left, did you find his body or something? He may be gone south now....We've had much warmer temps this fall in Detroit, and saw hummers much later than normal. Hopefully, yours was just a late one & is winging his way south right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here