Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelesavelle

Hummingbirds come to look but don't feed

MicheleSavelle
12 years ago

I have a glass feeder that hangs from a porch roof. It has the 4 "flower-shaped" red stations on it where the birds sit and drink. It's about 3 feet from the column holding up the roof, and 6 feet from the office window I want to watch from. I used this feeder with great success in south Seattle, but here in the north end the birds come and look, but don't settle down and feed.

I'm using exactly the same sugar-water solution I used to use - do you have any idea what could be wrong? I've cleaned the feeder and refilled it several times, in hopes that fresh solution would work, but no.

Thanks very much!

Comments (40)

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Make sure the mix is 4-1 (1 part sugar and 4 parts water). Also, make sure there are no moving parts nearby to scare the birds off (people, fans, etc.). If a bird dips into the feeder once and then leaves, he does not like what he is tasting. I always make sure my birds go into the nectar at least twice. They may go into each port on the feeder once to see if they will get a better results, but if not they are gone. If these birds are not even testing the nectar, then wow!

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Michele

The last two hummers I had never went to my feeders once but did use the flowers. That is sometimes the reasons for some young hummers havent yet learned to use feeders thats why its always good to have some good hummer plants for them to use this late in the season. Here salvia black and blue and blue ensign are two favorites they will use.

• pyro_dave
    12 years ago

I am in Port Orchard, WA. I found that whenever my feeder got dirty that I had to move it to a new location before they would come back. It also matters a lot that there is a perch in a shrub or tree where they can guard the feeder. They also want the feeder away from places near other bigger birds. I have had them within a foot of me and they are not bothered. Two summers in a row I had a nest in my roses along the garage. Both years I found it on Memorial Day weekend.
    I wish I had taken a picture of a hummer at the feeder with 3 inches of snow on top of the feeder this winter. I am going to add another feeder as soon as I find one I like. My neighbor has some winter flowering plants and he has seen 3 different ones this winter.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

In my area when hummers first arrive it seems to be feeders only. Granted I dont have a lot in bloom at that time but anything that is in seems to get neglected. I have a lot of nectar flowers and once everything gets going good then everything seems to get used.

Hey Dave no hummer but heres a feeder with some snow .

{{gwi:979093}}

• pyro_dave
    12 years ago

Steve, Nice picture, but is the sugar water frozen? My feeder had some of its ports clear, but I cleaned all the snow away, and she came back later that day. I thought it was an Anna, but from sqlguy's photos may have been a Rufus. I knew Anna's would winter over so assumed it was. I try not to get too close.
    I cleaned my old feeder tonite. The inner and outer surfaces were still clean, but all the ports were a little bit blackish dirty when I looked closer. I had to clean them with a Q-tip. Have you ever had to clean the ports? I guess I have a lot to learn.
    How long will the sugar water keep in the fridge? I need to figure how much to make in a batch.
    Sunday, I had a male RTH at one of the new feeders in the sunshine. Real nice. Even one seen visit makes my day.
    Sqlguy, Those are some very very real photos on your link. I was hoping to get 3-4 days between cleanings for a couple more weeks as it is still real cool here. Maybe some more snow headed our way this week. Nothing is blooming now, and there are no insects. So it is real important to keep the feeders clean.
    Thanks for the knowledge.

• christy2828
    12 years ago

Dave, If it is cool, you can easily get 4 to 5 days out of your sugar water. And I have had sugar water for almost 2 weeks in my fridge. Yes, the ports can get dirty, and a q-tip will work, or even soaking it in a bleach water solution. Some people say not to use soap, but I pull in my feeders while I'm doing dishes at night - clean them last with the soapy water and refill. Never have I had a problem with them rejecting a feeder because of soap residue. Glad you have birds!!! Christy :)

• pyro_dave
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Christy! I now have 4 feeders in front yard, but have not seen a hummer since Sunday a week ago. I made new mix and cleaned the feeders today. They looked real clean after 5 days. I am wondering if the rain and wind are keeping the hummers hidden, or if migrators kept moving north. Our weather has been very nasty this last week. I also have nearly 50 other birds in my front yard most of the day. Bird seed disappears fast, and the humming bird feeders are ignored.

• usgranell
    8 years ago

I had a feeder in my yard last year. It was visited regularly. The feeder was an old plastic one given to me, but it worked. I recently purchased a new glass feeder, it was on a great sale! I go home, fill it and place it in the same location as last year. Almost immediately I have a visitor. Two days go by, nothing.... I check the mix formula and refill with a new batch. Nothing.... A week goes by, one visitor comes by twice within minutes. I think, "cool, I'm good now" Then again, nothing. I google it. Ok, clean it, correct mixture. I inspect the feeder. It seems that there was an air pocket that didn't allow our friends access. (Couldn't reach the sugar after putting his bill in.) Put a fresh batch in and slightly shook the feeder until air bubbles rose to the top of the bulb and then tipped it slightly until mixture dripped out a little bit from the ports. I'm hoping this will do it. Keeping fingers crossed.

• Linda Brinkley
    6 years ago

The other day a male hummer came up to where I hang their feeder and I had no food out there. so I fix some and put out there and he came up to it but would not drink it. then he has been back a couple times but will not drink any. So what could be wrong?? Never had that problem before.

• cookieme23
    6 years ago

I live in Surrey bc I recently put up a hummingbird feeder..every time the birds go up to the feeder they fly away is there something I'm doing wrong..I clean the feeder every few days and I bought already mixed hummingbird nectar...if anybody has suggestions please let me know

thank you

• pyro_dave
    6 years ago

That is kind of tough to say. It was several weeks when I first started before they became used to new locations for my first feeders. They like having a perch nearby, and I learned they prefer a quiet area away from other bird activity. I also learned to mix my own sugar water using 4 water to 1 white sugar. Be sure to dissolve the sugar completely. Carefully inspect all inside parts of feeder for traces of black mold every time you clean it. Remove any bee guards and check for mold. If a feeder is real moldy just once they will avoid it for awhile. Try a new location nearby. Then after awhile gradually move it where you really want it. If your feeder is near a window then close drapes for a few days or minimize inside activity especially early and late in day when they like to feed. Soak feeders in a weak bleach solution to remove difficult mold. Then brush and rinse thoroughly of course. If you have more than one feeder then separate them so one territorial male cannot sight and guard two feeders from same perch. There is a lot of good advice in this forum so you can usually find answers in older threads. I am west of Seattle so kind of same region as you.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

The feeders need to be super clean. You don't want to hurt the birds and they will avoid anything that is iffy.

• rhumberson
    6 years ago

why humingbird dont leave the feeder

• Jay 6a Chicago
    6 years ago

Plant more hummingbird flowers, and they'll have more reason to stay. They will make your yard their territory and guard it, for long periods of time. They need flowers, and the insects attracted to them.

• wamccorm777
    6 years ago

I have found that hummers have strong preferences for certain locations for feeders, but sometimes the reason is not obvious to me. I can have a string of feeders along the edge of a porch, and certain ones get the bulk of the traffic. I have even exchanged feeders and they keep going back to the preferred location. If your hummers aren't coming to that feeder that is in your convenient viewing place, they may come if it is moved 4 feet. If you have the feeders to do it, clean several and put just a little juice in each one and hang them around the general area you want to watch. It will quickly become obvious which locations they prefer.

• kit chen
    4 years ago

I used to have lots of hummers come to the feeders. Now, one or two will try to feed for a second, check another feeder and fly away. Almost like they dont like the smell, taste or something? Are they particular about what kind of sugar one uses? I use white table sugar and water.

• pyro_dave
    4 years ago

Make sure the feeder is absolutely sparkling clean. Double check for mold in corners, crevices, and under bee guards, and the feeder ports. Try soaking in a weak bleach mix for at least 30 minutes when cleaning. Then try moving the feeders to another spot but close to same area.

Sometimes I think they associate a feeder with a bad ocurrence. You can move them back in a week or two once they start returning. Or move them back in stages. Or a new place.

Use really hot water when you mix and be sure sugar is completely dissolved. Best ratio is 4:1 water to white granulated sugar.

• mblan13
    4 years ago

I've had birds that primarily used the feeder and others that mostly fed off the flowers. I usually have some potted 'Black and Blue' and 'Argentine Skies' Salvia, Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', and a feeder or two. Keeps both kinds happy!

• hummersteve
    4 years ago

Im guessing you live in a warmer climate than me , in mid to late Oct Im lucky to have any hummers here in the mid-west. But during season it doesnt matter what type of feeder I have out they adjust to it and use it. One possible answer to your problem could be those are new hatch-year hummers that havent yet learned how to use feeders. That could be tested by placing a pot with good hummer type flower plants in the area.

• Wayne Mason
    4 years ago

We have feeders on the east and west side of our home. We have at least four Ruby throated and some broadbill(we think that is the type). The one Ruby throat on the east is extremely territorial( we call him "Leroy Brown"), and sits on our stringed lights and will let no birds feed. He also thinks that he is the boss of the terrace and tries to get us to leave by doing very close "fly boys".

On the west side they squabble, but those feeders go dry quicker.

They did not start feeding until my Butterfly Bush, Coral Bells, and other bright plants bloomed. They hit on those first, and then started on the feeders.

Am not an advocate of the pink mix. However, if you do not have plants around from which they can feed, you may have to start your feeder with it until they find the feeder.

• hummersteve
    4 years ago

Something that can give you a rush is when they come up to infront of you a foot a way fluttering staring you right in the face. This is usually late in season when they become really bold for us in the eastern half of the states. Ive had this happen many times over the years and never fails to give a rush since you arent exactly sure what they will do next.

• pyro_dave
    4 years ago

I have a feeder on each side of the house.

Once I came out the front door and a female Anna greeted me like you say. I checked the nearest feeder and it was dry so I cleaned and filled it right away.

Last week I was weeding a flower bed out front and I heard one at the feeder right above me. I looked and a male chased a female around inside the tree a couple of times and then both took off.

They really really like the red Broken Urn water fountain I bought online. They perch on the front and duck under the water and let it run over them.

• wamccorm777
    4 years ago

For many years I had hummers by the thousands where I lived in Lindale, Texas, but when I moved to Bryan, Texas (100 miles northwest of Houston) I could attract only an occasional bird. August and September and sometimes part of October have always been my busiest time. This year I had a few more occasionals that in any of the previous 4 years. This year about the middle of August they descended on me in mass, swarming like bees. I have put out only four feeders and they have to be refilled once or twice per day. If you aren't getting much traffic, be patient. About every third day clean each feeder with vinegar and rinse several times to prevent mold and fungus from growing in the feeders and ants to collect in them. Till you get a lot of action, one or two feeders is all you need to put out. Once they start coming, you can put out as many feeders as you want to take care of, and they will likely be busy. Be patient.

• Michelle Jenkins
    3 years ago

I had 4 hummingbird feeders out "unfilled" yet with new nectar in IL the first week of May and a hummingbird approached a feeder and hanging basket of Impatients and flew away. I have flowers in my landscape blooming, 10 floral baskets hanging hanging from wrap around porch, 2 birdbaths, and 4 hummingbird feeders. Will they return now that the feeders have been cleaned and refilled?

• pyro_dave
    3 years ago

Please be patient. There is a lot of good advice in several message threads. Especially from hummersteve. Put red fuchsias in a hanging basket and hummer friendly plants where you can.

Hummers also like moving water. Hummers may be feeding very early and very late so check mix level before refilling.

• pyro_dave
    3 years ago

Please be patient. There is a lot of good advice in several message threads. Especially from hummersteve. Put red fuchsias in a hanging basket and hummer friendly plants where you can. Hummers also like moving water. Hummers may be feeding very early and very late so check mix level before refilling.

• Linda Campbell
    3 years ago

Hi there! I have bought my very first hummingbird feeders and mixed the sugar and water correctly. I have seen a hummingbird fly up to my feeders 3 days in a row, but then they just fly away. My question is are they just checking it out or is there something wrong as to why they haven't fed on them yet?

• carolslakehouse
    3 years ago

I have the same problem as Linda Campbell and a few others I've read. Yet, I don't see anyone with an answer yet. Or did I just miss it.

• wamccorm777
    3 years ago

Linda and Carol, don't give up. Keep the feeders clean. Sometimes they are only looking for insects, especially if there are other feeders in the neighborhood. Don't let any feeder ferment. If a hummer finds fermented juice in a feeder, it won't be back to that feeder. I suggest that if a feeder accidentally ferments, clean it thoroughly, put fresh juice in it, and move it.

• HU-542762840
    3 years ago

New this yr to hummingbirds, I currently have 4 fairly new 3 plastic, one red glass feeders approx 10 ft apart at various heights, make 4-1 ratio nectar, use ant guards, hot in midwest, clean feeders w new nectar every 3/4 days, have a black & bloom plant, purple/ yellow petunias, some birds feed for long time, others hover but never feed, I have limited space to create for the hummers...any suggestions for more birds to come?

• HU-483678867
    3 years ago

I have the same problem I cleaned feeder &put new

• HU-815163803
    3 years ago

It is very important to make sure the liquid is reaching the bottom of the feeder so that the birds can reach it with their tongue, many times air pockets or air bubbles will create a vacuum at the top and not allow the sugar water to enter the bottom feeding ports so you must either tilt the feeder to allow the air bubbles to come up or shake the feeder somewhat and allow the air bubbles to release from the base and then it will fill with nectar so that the little birds can reach it with their little tongues,,, otherwise they'll sit at a feeder and get very little nectar on each sip as opposed to getting a tongue full. And after a while if they're not getting a full tongue full they may not come back to your feeder. I find when it gets cool at night the liquid retracts from the base and goes back up into the top so in the evening and in the morning I have to tilt the feeder to release the air bubbles and pockets and that seems to do the trick.

• gyr_falcon
    3 years ago

^^^ Sounds like a design flaw in your feeder brand. Mine bubbles up on its own, well before any access problems emerge, without needing to be tilted.

• Hanna Yilma-Aviram
    2 years ago

Greetings to all my hummingbird lovers. I’m new here (10/9/21) but glad I found the thread. I’m based in Nyack, NY. I was delighted to discover I have one visiting my balcony almost daily. I try to keep the feeder very clean and change the food regularly… so far so good. I’m surprised to see him/her late into the season. Is that normal? Maybe might stay throughout the winter? Great suggestions and advise here so thank you for info. I recorded a video but I don’t think it can be uploaded to this platform.

• wamccorm777
    2 years ago

Welcome aboard Hanna from way down in south Texas.

• kwie2011
    2 years ago

This is a very old thread, but I'll comment because I'm trying to figure out why hummingbirds prefer old nectar over new. I suspect the OP's fresh good was competing with someone else's older food nearby, and the hummers prefered the older food.

I have identical feeders, and my Anna's will ignore the freshly filled one in favor of the older one until the old one is empty, then they'll do the same when I refill it- ignoring it until the older one is dry.

The behavior is clear and obvious, and seems to be something they can smell. I suspect they are attracted to the odor of a tiny bit of alcohol in the older food, but maybe something else. They fly up, hover a second, and go to the oldest one. I switch the feeders around and try all sorts of tricks, but they know which has older food, and that is definitely their preference. 

I'm in the cool PNW, and my feeders are used up in a week, so it won't be much alcohol. Behavior might be reversed if the nectar ever got very old. I might test that this summer.

• HU-160101376
    last year
    last modified: last year

A friend gave me a Hummingbird feeder. Two Hummingbirds showed up the next day. The visit everyday, multiple times throughout the day. I have a red Calibrachoa and fountain in close proximity to the feeder. I use 6 teaspoons of superfine granulated cane sugar to 1/2 cup of water. Depending on the weather, I clean the feeder every 2 to 4 days at night. I live in Southern California near the coast.

• HU-559390516
    last year

Had the same problem and the hummingbirds were getting right in my face trying to tell me something was wrong . Took the feeders inside to wash n examine and in the little narrow ports from the main liquid compartment into the flowers were big Ants with wings …. i obviously cleaned evetythjng really well and found at least 4 flowers clogged with those bad ants !!!!!!! Hoping they dont come back but i will keep checking .

• Jeninca Two
    last year

We live in the PNW and moved our hummingbird feeder from the back of our house to the front where there is more shade and they like it much better. We’ve had tons of Anna‘s for years since. They usually drink 2 cups of nectar every few days and they’re so comfortable with us that I was sure one would fly in the house eventually. Recently we noticed that they’d come to the feeder but not drink and fly away. We took down the feeder, cleaned it and refilled it several times but the same thing happened. I always make sure that the nectar is available for them through the bottom ports and there isn’t a clog. Finally I bought a new feeder, but the same thing is happening. One will come and drink but the others fly away. It’s so strange. I’m sad, I miss those cutie pies!! They’re still flying all over the front yard though and living in our trees.