Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird still in St. Louis

Posted by Linda5520 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 14:36

I still have a female ruby throated hummingbird in my yard drinking from my feeder as of today, Oct. 24, 2012. There were two last Saturday but now she is the only one. I'm afraid she might be young and may have missed her opportunity to start migrating South. I live in St. Louis, MO and we are having a cold front move in on Thursday night. Do you think she will leave? What can I do to help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird still in St. Louis

Linda

It is good to hear a few people have late hummers this season but dont worry they will move on when they need to. Cold front coming thru here I think friday . Hummers have a way of handling cold and it will have to get pretty cold for the feeder mix to freeze or you can take it in at night and put it back out at dawn if needed.

o

Thanks for the info. I have never seen one here this late at my house in October (although today is a very warm day here) so maybe this is a normal occurrence. The weather people say maybe 38 or 40 degrees on Friday evening. I don't think the feeder mix will freeze.

o

Linda, another hummer showed up in my yard(eastern Iowa) a couple days ago. He made it through several below to well below freezing nights somewhere north of here earlier in October, so a bit of cold down in St Louis or farther south shouldn't be a problem. I imagine the big challenge for these very late migrants is finding enough food to keep them going. A lot of people have probably taken their feeders down by now. I keep mine up just in case. This hummer got lucky when he found my yard. He certainly need to get moving farther south, but he obviously left somewhere up north to come to my yard so at some point he'll leave my yard as well to continue the journey.

o

Thanks for letting me know this. I guess there are still stragglers heading south but at a slower pace. Thank goodness there are people like me who love these darlings and still keep their feeders up. My two feeders were full of bees this morning but I am determined to keep them up until November. Thanks for the response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here