Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreeteac

Territorial hummingbirds

Colleen E
13 years ago

This year, hummingbirds have been particularly aggressive, to a point I've personally never seen. It was the most so when the Rufus were here in the spring into mid-summer, when they were getting upset about chickadees being out in the trees in the backyard, nowhere near the feeders, and were bothering large birds like jays and even harassing squirrels minding their own business. They're always pushy when it comes to the Anna's that we have year-round now, but this kind of behavior, with attacking regular birds and everybody else, was something new. The Rufus finally left, and now we have our Anna's. While the population has dropped a bit as we're approaching winter, we still have a lot of flowers in bloom, and we're suddenly starting to see Anna's be aggressive toward our little finches and chickadees that eat at our two bird feeders some fifteen feet away from the hummingbird feeders on our deck. It seems to be because we have flower pots with blue salvia in them that are placed some three feet from the bird feeders, and the Anna's don't appear to like that the birds are eating their food so close to where they like to stop by the salvia.

They're nowhere near as bad as the Rufus were when they were here, but every so often I'll see an Anna's come and start to eat at the salvia and then look up and see a little innocent baby finch eating and decide to go over and flare some tail feathers and hover near the poor little thing's face. The birds are normally not bothered enough to leave, and the hummers will get bored of it and stop after several seconds, but I'm just curious... anyone else ever seen this type of behavior? We've never had hummers care one bit about our regular birds in years past.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions