Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common Evening Primrose

Posted by dave_k z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 15:03

Last fall I planted Common Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) by seeding directly in the garden. The seed was collected along a railroad track locally. Those plants grew well in the worst kind of subsoil. This Primrose is supposed to be a biennial, but mine bloomed the first year. Others seeds started in a small pot grew well but did not bloom. Those have been transplanted into the garden lately.
I've seen Rubythroats nectar from this species in northern Wisconsin. I didn't notice any hummers at my Primrose, but I like this tough plant. The flowers are bright clear yellow with a nectar spur. It requires only part to full sun to bloom well over a long period. It seems the plant is larger in sun.
Oenothera biennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Evening Primrose

It's moderatly invasive/rampant here and I pull dozens every year when doing spring clean-up in my flowerbeds. I always leave the main clump for the bright, cheerful flowers but I yank any that stray far from it. It was here when I moved to this house; I didn't plant it and, based on what I've seen it do, I likely wouldn't. There are lots of others that are much better behaved. I've never seen hummers on or near them but I've only just started planting things that attract them the past 2-3 years.

o

The Evening Primrose is laughing at our heat and drought.
Photobucket

o

My evening primroses just sprouted. I hope they do well.

o

They feed from evening primroses early in the morning so watch for them.

o

My Primrose (Oenothera biennis) are now taller than me, and starting to bloom. They're in very poor, dry soil. I have some winter sown Silene regia right next to them which are struggling to stay alive. Those are only about the size of a quarter! The Japanese Beetles love the Primrose, unfortunately. I've been spraying.

o

The tall plant in the back is the Primrose. It flowered well for several weeks. It's still going but I've cut it back quite a bit. I saw one visit from a Rubythroat.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here