Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Help Identifying an odd tan hummingbird

bella_trix
14 years ago

I was surprised to see a hummingbird out in my garden today. I was sure my resident had left for the winter. When I was closer, I realized he didn't look like my normal ruby-throated hummingbirds. He is much more tan, especially across his sides and lower back/tail. He has a single red dot under his throat and white tips on his tail. He is a lot more vocal than the ones I've had here in PA, both in frequency and volume. His wings don't make any unusual sound.

Do you think he is just an oddly tan juvenile ruby-throat or something more unusual? Whatever he is, he was having a ball in my garden (as every good hummingbird should). The late-blooming rosebud salvia was particularly popular this year.

Thanks!

Bellatrix

Comments (22)

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

Wow--it looks like you have a juvie Rufus Hummingbird visiting you! I think that is VERY unusual as you are north of me (Delaware) in Pa. I would report this to your state wildlife people.
    I have not heard of Rufus that far north.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Bella, you are very lucky. All of us easterners hope for a rare rufous hummingbird in autumn.

• stevec_2007
    14 years ago

I got this off another site. It went on to say that sometimes these western hummers over-winter in your area. Better put your feeder back up!

The appearance of these western hummingbirds is a phenomenon that has been realized only recently. Starting in the mid-1980s, each ensuing year has seemed to reveal more hummingbirds of more species in the late fall. In Maryland for example, one Rufous Hummingbird was recorded per decade from 1952 to 1981; in the 1980s there were two; from 1990-1993 there were four; from 1994-1997 there were seven; and from 1998-2000 there were eight. The trend has continued along this trajectory, with more Rufous Hummingbirds appearing in each subsequent year. The state's first Calliope came in 2004, followed by one in 2006 and another in 2007; the Anna's Hummingbird occurred in 2005.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

What would these western hummers drink if they over winter in the north east?

Bella_trix, what plant is that and is it normal for it to still be in bloom November 1st?

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so excited about this! I contacted the people who study these Western hummingbirds that get off track. He's going to come try to band it and says it is definitely a Rufous or Allen's. But the big messages is: Get Those Feeders Back Up!! This little guy should be headed south(hopefully, not east) and will be doing it after a lot of the area gets frost.

eigdeh - The plant is Black and Blue Salvia. It blooms all summer and fall until frost. I missed the last frost - it was very, very light and only got the basil. I still have rosebud salvia, pinapple sage, two native honeysuckles and other assorted sages blooming in the garden.

Bellatrix

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Thanks Bellatrix!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

How super lucky you are to have a rufous. Most of the rest of us easterners can only dream. Thanks for sharing the pics.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Wow. I had hoped this year to see a Rufous, but haven't. I'm keeping up a feeder for at least another two months, just in case one stays over here for the winter.
    Thanks for the post and photos Bellatrix.
    I lke his rusty brown color.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Bellatrix

You need to keep us updated did the bird hang around. Were the banders able to catch and band it etc.

Steve

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He's still here! The banders are coming out tomorrow. They are also going to band two rufous hummingbirds that are just west of me in Ephrata, PA. I'll try to keep updating, but I unfortunately have one of the flu's right now, so I'm not as with-it as I usually am.

I just came back to post a "keep your feeders up" message. Do any of you know what other hummingbird forums are around? Hummingbird people should know that there are at least three Rufous Hummingbirds heading south from PA in the middle of frost weather.

Bellatrix

• ga_karen
    14 years ago

Try posting on HGTV General Gardening forum. There are lots of us hummer folks there.
    One gal from N. Al. just posted to keep the feeders up cause she recently saw some ruby throats. I haven't seen any for about 4 days now, but I alway leave my feeders up until late since I am so close to the gulf coast.
    If you can post a pic...I'm sure that would help!

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Scott, the hummingbird bander, came out today and identified my visitor as a juvenile male rufous hummingbird. Scott was able to see a few adult rufous feathers on his back that have molted in to positively identify him. When Scott and his friends first arrive, the hummingbird was very obliging and buzzed around us and at nearby flowers. Unfortunately, he disappeared as soon as the trap was set up and they were unable to catch and band him. The little bugger showed back up five minutes after they had left. Smart little guy!

Bellatrix

• indiangum
    14 years ago

So cool. I had one here in Houston a couple of weeks ago. He looked pretty beat up. All up his chest was scarred and his neck feathers were all ruffled up. I don't know how to post a pic here but I took a couple that turned out.
    What kind of trap did they put out?

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Aren't you lucky!

We don't get ANY hummingbirds here at this time of year! But, as long as there's food, they'll stick around for you. I wish our growing season was just a little bit longer...

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Rufous hummingbird visitor has left my garden. I saw him last on Thursday, November 5th. The frost wiped out most of my hummingbird plants on Friday and I have not seen him since. Here is one of the last pictures of him sitting on top of my bean trellis. This same day, I watched him chase a goldfinch out of the garden. He was quite a character and I'm thrilled he stopped by.

Bellatrix

• chescobob
    14 years ago

Bellatrix:

Thanks for posting this. I think I pulled my nectar feeder down in mid-October. I still have some plants blooming for hummingbirds--don't remember what I planted though. One is kinda short and kinda blue. Others are fluffy and red. I'll have to look into the "late-blooming rosebud salvia" and figure out what I already have. Some abelias, that the RTHs visit, are still blooming.

I'm about 30 miles south of Ephrata and about 60 miles southwest of Collegeville.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Bird, Little Bird

• marthaye
    14 years ago

I spotted a Rufus HB on 12/06/09. I could not believe it. I have never seen this particular bird. Very exciting! I am in the foothills of SC.
    A research person plans to come to band him. (If he continues to come.)

Martha

• Lorraine Murray
    2 years ago

10/31/21 Juneau Alaska - I turned here because I was trying to identify a hummingbird that looks like the one in this picture.

• gyr_falcon
    2 years ago

In Alaska, yes it would most likely be a Rufous. The end of October seems rather late, but with climate changes, and hummingbirds having the strong personalities they do, they sometimes persist in locations that would seem to be much too cold for them to stick around.

• Lorraine Murray
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, Thank you for responding. Yes, I think it's a juvenile . It was 28 degrees this morning, and apparently, some hummingbirds are overwintering here. This is the first year I have noticed them in my yard this late in the season.

Juneau has mild winters compared to some other places, but still, I am a bit worried. I plan on keeping my feeders up.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

If they are overwintering in Juneau, then they are Anna's. Anna's are some of the most cold tolerant of hummer species and have expanded their permanent range to include coastal Alaska.

• HU-265995218
    7 months ago

I had what I think was a Rufous hummingbird visit in Clayton, NC in May or June of this year. It sat on the feeder for hours for several days and then I haven't seen it since. I don't know if it was sick or just really tired.

Sponsored
More Discussions