Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I still have birds in central ohio

Posted by aprice9066 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 15:49

I live in Columbus Ohio area and still have birds at my feeder....it does seem late this year

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I still have birds in central ohio

You are about 200 miles south of us. They are forecasting
frost for tonight up here. I am hoping the nectar
doesn't turn to slush for their feeding
tomorrow morning.
We could hang light bulbs over the feeders
overnight but the frost shouldn't be that
bad yet. If they stay much longer, that
might be an option.

o

As of today oct 4 I had a couple sightings but beyond that nothing, near the end Im afraid. It might be my last sighting, but im hoping not.

o

We still have hummingbirds here in Mi. and it's Oct. 9th.
Hummersteve they may come back to your feeders when they leave here, so you might have another sighting.
We have had a few light frosts, but not cold enough to freeze the nectar. I do believe they are the same birds that have been here the last several weeks, whether they were born here, or just stopping by to refuel they are all welcome. One female is rounded out, but the others are small and appear to be juveniles. Don't think the small ones could make it to their winter destinations. Must be that inborn trait they have, they know when to stay and when to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here