Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruby Throat Hummer

Posted by missouribob Missouri (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 16:07

I about made myself sick the other day when I opened my garage door backed out whent to the store came back and found a male Ruby Throat on my garage floor. He was already gone.

He must of flown in without my seeing him, I was only gone 20 minutes or so and it about broke my heart.

I keep 3 feeders full all thje time and they are my favorite spring - summer - fall bird.

I have rescued about 5 hummers when they find their way into my garage and back porch but this is the 1st one I lost.

They are the most amazing bird and I always look forward to April 19 (They arrive like clockwork).

My Dad got me interested in hummers and birds in general and I do all I can to help them, however, losing this guy really hurt.

I know I am going to watch more closely from now on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruby Throat Hummer

Sorry about your hummer. I don't think it was your fault. He probably was sick when he flew into your garage. I had one in my garage for several hours one day. My husband was finally able to retrieve him and the juvenile hunmmer revived and flew away.

o
RE: Ruby Throat Hummer

• Posted by zoozue 9 Lakeland (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 11:18

A reminder about you folks with garage door openers. The RED handle (by-pass handle) that hangs down tends to attract hummers into our garages. They can get into all kinds of trouble and die on impact of any solid surface. So please don't leave garage doors open when you know there are hummers about or cover the red handle on your garage door opener... It might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here