Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cats, Hummers, and flower choices

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 17:16

We had cats in my childhood, and what turned me against them was pulling hummers out of their mouths. There were massive orange trumpet flower vines on the neighbor's shed, and apparently the cats must have climbed onto the roof.

I'm trying to grow some flowers for hummers but I'm concerned about the low growing red flowers like the Silenes, Aquilegia formosa, etc. since I have 2 cats foisted on me by my DD.:-( If I plant them will I put my hummers in danger?

Are there some flowers tall enough that hummers can feed safely? Arrangements of plants to exclude cats? I put in an 8' tall trellis for runner beans with the red flowers and the hummers loved it this summer, but I'd like to have more flowers for them. I also bought a Lonicera heckrotti 'Gold Flame' that will be on a trellis and hopefully safe for the hummers. Some of the hollyhocks get 6-8' tall, perhaps they would be a good thing to plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cats, Hummers, and flower choices

I would never put plants in my yard that were shorter than a cat could jump-if I had cats in my yard. I do not think I would even try to feed Hummers if I had ANY cats in the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here