Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbirds in the Rain

Posted by julysun 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 17:58

Have wondered how HBs deal with rain, well today in Houston/Baytown we are having a soaking, 1 1/2 inches at my house so far. I was standing looking out at my feeder and a nearby Pecan tree where the Hummer perches on guard. No Bird around, but, as I stood there one popped up on my feeder for a long sip. She then flew deeper into the pecan foliage to perch I suppose. Anyway, this bird feeds in the rain, and she looks pretty dry for having been exposed for three hours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbirds in the Rain

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 13:11

It's pouring here too. DH moved one of the feeders a few feet to its winter site, partially protected by the carport overhang should they choose to dine out of the rain. But so far I've only seem them on the smaller feeder exposed to the weather :) And going into a dogwood that is still fully leafed out when finished instead of the usual places at the tips of a viburnum.

o
RE: Hummingbirds in the Rain

Hummers love rain.
Whenever we get rain here in SoCal our hummingbird starts rolling around on leaves in the rose bush. Rolls on a set of leaves then hops to the next set... etc. Then sits in the yucca preening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here