Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowdy13_gw

rfi: places in se with hummers in both winter and summer

rowdy13
14 years ago

I received the following request from Doreen Cubie. She's banded in my Valrico FL yard the past three winters. She banded 10 Ruby-throateds in my yard last winter on Super Bowl Sunday after banding an adult male Ruby-throat and a female Rufous the month before.

Steve in Valrico

==============================================

I'm a hummingbird bander, part of the Hummer/Bird Study Group, and I'm looking for homes in FL, GA, or SC that have Ruby-throated Hummingbirds during most months of the year.

I'm already banding Rubies every month of the year at one home near Charleston, SC, where I live. I'd like to find a couple of other homes where I can band several times a year, preferably in Florida or somewhere on the Georgia coast.

One of the things we are trying to learn by banding both summer and winter Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the same places is whether the birds are year-round residents, or whether the breeding birds migrate and are replaced in the winter by hummers from further north.

I'd love to hear from you if you'd like to participate in this research project. And you don't need to have large numbers of Rubythroats. The most important thing is to have hummingbirds in the summer and the winter.

Thanks,

Doreen Cubie

Awendaw, SC

843-991-1054

doreencubie@tds.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Hummingbirds Forum

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions