Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

October Hummers

hummersteve
16 years ago

Even though I have been feeding hummers for a few years this is the first time to have them in Oct. I owe most of it to my hummers garden this year , my first year at it. Also last year I only had 4 feeders and that just wasnt enough to keep hummers interested in my yard enough to stay and they left me in august. This year I have 10 feeders altogether and my garden with the right plants. So this morning I was blessed with 3 hummers and this evening I have seen a couple, but I feel they will not be around very long. I wouldnt be surprised if Im not seeing any by the end of this week.

Comments (10)

• User
    16 years ago

We have 3 feeders and no plants at all. Two close neighbors each have one feeder. They live in our tree and stopped going
    to the neighbors a week before they left. I noticed they were
    flying less and eating more.. and they looked chubby. I found
    myself glued to the window being they were so fast to zoom down sip and zoom up to the tree. Part of me still thinks they
    are in that tree and im just looking at the wrong time lol
    I hope they all make it South safely!! :)

• esrungg
    16 years ago

The last one i saw was sat. and this has been the latest i have had them. I have only 2 feeders up now and I plan to leave them till the first frost just in case. Out on the deck today I felt so sad without them.

• boozie
    16 years ago

I live in SW Indiana (Newburgh). I still have a couple hummers. I plan to leave my feeders up until after Dec 1 to accomodate any migrants who may stop in for a pick-me-up.

• nanny56
    16 years ago

I am in west central Indiana and we still have a couple. They are getting nice & plump so I expect them to be on their way soon. I have 2 feeders still up. I had to take the third on down since the raccons were getting in it and emptying it every time I filled it up!!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since we are near the end thought I would throw in a couple of shots of my plants and a hummers that stopped in late this afternoon.

heres part of my flower bed with black and blues and lady in red, welcome to the jungle
    {{gwi:1002355}}

this is my greggi magenta, love the flowers and so do the hummers
    {{gwi:1002356}}

this is my cuphea david verity
    {{gwi:1002357}}

Heres a shot I took today , sorry about the dirty window. this looks like it might be an adult female
    {{gwi:1002358}}

• sitter_2007
    16 years ago

Just thought I'd check and see if anyone else has been seeing hummers. Good to see that you are. I thought I had seen the last one Sept 30 but saw at least 2 and maybe 3 today. They are so fast sometimes I can't tell if it's the same ones I'm watching or another one. Anyway this year mine have almost ignored the feeder and went after the plants. the Black and Blue seems to be the favorite but the Russian Sage and Pineapple were also very popular. Next year I plan on getting salvia darcyi and lobelia cardinalis and any other ones you all think hummers go after. I too will miss them.

• lv6b
    16 years ago

October 5 2007

Got my October hummer this morning! I have a vase of hummer-favorite flowers on the windowsill near my computer desk. I opened the window, booted up the computer and heard the thrummmm of wings. There, not 2 feet from my face, was a rubythroat working over the blossoms! She even flew inside the window so she could get all around the arrangement! What a treat.
    As soon as she left I ran out to the garden for some fresh flowers. She met me out there! As I was deciding what to cut she came zooming up and started furiously visiting the blooms. I got to see close up what she drank from, what she ignored, and what she was attracted to but didnÂt drink from. She came back twice in 5 minutes.

• marilynp
    16 years ago

Hello everyone, I just joined this terrific group. I find gardening peaceful and calming, and that is something I need since I had CHF a year ago. I am fine now, but what a scare! I want hummers!! I found "hope" today when I saw a photo of a humming in our local St. Pete TIMES, and the picture was from Palm Harbour!! That is not far from me, so that gave me some HOPE that I may be able to get them here. I am sure going to try. Anyhow, checking this forum will be fun, and if anyone from the St. Pete, FL area see's hummers, please let me know!!! MarilynP

• lv6b
    16 years ago

Hi Marilyn, Welcome to the group! Glad you are in good health now. Keep any of us who's hummingbirds are gone for the season informed of any sightings so we can share the fun!
    Linda
    lv6b (zone 6B)

• yodlei44
    16 years ago

Still have 2 left. They're taking turns between my sister's yard across the street & mine. We made a list of those that had identfying markings & named them. I only see 1 in my yard. Her white tummy looks dirty & she has about 3 darker spots. She has a couple feathers that stick up on her head. Looks tough, so we named her Courtney (Love). ha ha It will be interesting to see who shows up in the spring.

Sponsored
More Discussions