Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Are yours still hummin' around?

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

Guess it depends on where you live, but I'm curious as to how many hummers all of you have left! Today, I counted 5 at one time. I have basically two separate feeder areas, so there might have been more. The few I have are going to the feeders hanging from the eaves in my breezeway and not near my kitchen window. Last year, they were gone by mid October, so I suspect next week it's bon voyage for now! It's been truly an exceptional hummer season...Gonna miss'em!

Donna

Comments (12)

• babesy
    15 years ago

In Arlington, Texas - I've seen one in the past week and a half. Still have my feeders up - shall I take them in?

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

I live in Delaware and I had hummers here on Saturday October4.
    I think these birds will be headed toward Texas so please don't take feeders down yet.
    It seems to me that the Ruby Throat young are migrating later this year than normal. My regular local crew left in early Sept. but I have been having a lot of migrators and have left four of my seven feeders out.
    I will not be taking in my feeders at least till sometime in November, or even later if I see any birds at all in the next few weeks.
    Vicki

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a good idea to leave them up. I'm removing some of my feeders gradually, and even at the point where I don't see any at all, I'll keep one feeder up throughout the winter. I've had just one who appeared at my feeder in late November...a Rufous! Since I only have the RTs, it was such a treat to have him...he was banded that year in early Dec. and stayed until mid March. That's the one and only winter hummer I've ever had! (I'm in east central MS)

Donna

• judys_ont
    15 years ago

I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I am still having the last of the migrating hummies come to the feeder.
    They check out my salvias but they are all going to seed now, so they head straight for the hummy feeder. They usually stick around for a day or two then head out.
    I'll keep my feeder out until I haven't seen one for a couple of weeks.

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

I saw one this morning at my feeder and flowers.

It is nice to hear from you that live farther north from me.

I leave one feeder up throughout the winter since there have been sightings here in my area/state during colder months.

Donna, you are so lucky! I would love to see a different hummer this winter. I have a friend who had a Black Chin and an Allen come to her feeder a couple of years ago during the winter. We only have Rubies here during nesting season.

There is a site that lists all the hummers that are known to visit your state. I learned that there have been 9 sighted here in GA. I found it by Googling Hummingbird Migration. I will try to re-find it if anyone is interested and post it here.

Jean
    NW GA

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was indeed a pleasure having this little stranger for the winter. From what I understand, we are seeing more and more Rufous hummers in our region. I've NEVER been lucky enough to have an up close and personal view of a hummer's nest, much less have them nest in my yard...but that is on my wish list for sure!

Donna
    MS

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

Donna, I have the same wish list as you!

Jean
    NW GA

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I had (I think) my last female pass through yesterday. She stocked up on my salvia (Yvonne's, excerta, and red texas), and I didn't see any activity today. Still have the feeder out for any stragglers getting ready to cross lake Ontario. (I'm just west of Toronto). Had a great hummer year, with a bossy male that decided my salvia bed was "his" and noisily fought off any other rubies. Never had a male stay all summer before...

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, as of late this afternoon, I have just one little lonesome female at the feeder...seems so sad! Maybe she'll eat a hearty breakfast, and be on her way. I'll keep two feeders up "just in case"!

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

I have had visitors most every day including today the 12th. Previous to this year the latest I had one was the 6th. So I feel very lucky indeed. For about a week straight I only saw them at the feeders[ I now only have one front at window and one in rear] but the last 3 or 4 days it has been flowers. So with the warmup which may help and no frost has hit here to kill any flowers, I have something to offer as they pass thru.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many of you much further north, seem to still have a few at your feeders and flowers, so it seems migration is a little late this season. This morning, my one female is still around, but that's it, unless a few more pass through over the next week or so. We've had exceptionally warm days lately, so the only thing still blooming in my yard is lantana....even when the hummers were plenty, they still preferred the feeders...Next season, I hope to have more hummer friendly flowers, however, I don't have much of a green thumb!

• twobasenjis
    15 years ago

The last of my summer birds left September 24th. I had a few migration birds for a week after that. Since then, nothing.

I'm 45 miles north of Chicago, but only 1/2 mile from Lake Michigan. Seems from what I've read I should still have birds coming through. Do these little guys migrate more inland? Is there a migration route map available?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions