Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best soil for Fuchsia?

Posted by dave_k z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 21:28

My Fuchsia Gartenmeister Bonstedt grew very slowly this year.
Both are still small. I'm wondering what's the best soil for this Fuchsia? I wonder too, if Gartenmeister can take more sun once acclimated. One was in the shade of a tree, the other in full sun about four hours a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best soil for Fuchsia?

Yes, Gartenmeister can tolerate quite a lot of sun - much more so than popular hanging basket fuchsia types. In my climate, it can do full sun as we are so far north and even summer sun is of lower intensity. In other areas, I might opt for a part sun/part shade situation with the sun concentrated in the early hours of the day rather than the hot afternoon.

Since Gartenmeister is not the slightest bit cold hardy in your zone (and only marginally so in mine), most folks grow it as an annual. It can be overwintered indoors as you can with other fuchsias, in which case you just need a good quality potting soil for the container. If you grow in the ground during the summer months, any decent well draining garden soil is appropriate.

Like most other seasonal plants or annuals, they would appreciate periodic fertilization and regular watering during the growing season. To overwinter indoors, cut back to 4-6", stop any fertilization and keep soil just barely moist to the touch. The dormant plant should be kept in a cool environment but above freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here