Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humming Birds and Hawks

Posted by bdriver71 z6pa (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 21:35

My Hummers left 2 weeks ago. Best year ever. Feed everything here. Squirrels, rabbits, chimpmunks, etc. and so many birds. Noticed last week my bird feeders were only half empty after 3 days. Usually have to fill them twice a day. Bunnies I had to brake for every morning in our driveway aren't there. The usual 5-6 squirrels always at the feeder, aren't there. Haven't seen my Blue Jays, Cardinals, Doves, Wood Peckers, etc. either. What I did see was a Cooper Hawk. I saw him in our back yard. He had something so big he could barely lift off, but couldn't see what he had. Will he go after my hummers when they return? How do I get him to leave? He is wiping out all the critters that have existed so happily together for so many years. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humming Birds and Hawks

I used to live in an apt in the middle of Austin and had a Cooper's Hawk land on my balcony from time to time trying to catch one of the many house finches at my feeder. He never showed any interest in my hummingbirds. Coop's do prey on other birds however, in my opinion, I would think a Coop trying to catch a hummingbird would be like a C130 trying to catch a F-18. :)

o

It is probably a fact that a Cooper's Hawk will not try to meal a Hummingbird--they are just too small. Cooper's like to feed on birds that are much larger.

o

• Posted by rob_a z8b TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 19:11

I have never heard of a hawk catching a hummer. Hummers are just too fast and aerobatic. Hummers rarely touch when chasing each other.
The hawks here prefer white wing doves. Your rabbits are probably in trouble.

o

I was hoping that's the way it would be. Nice comparison!
Now that you mention finches, my gold finches haven't been
on their feeder either. Their feeder is very exposed to
where the hawk perches. Guess I need to hide that feeder
under a tree too. I was hoping the smaller birds wouldn't
be worth going after for them. Great, the snakes and mice
I could live without are still thriving while this guy is wiping
out my favorite critters. Thanks for your help. I so hope you are right.

o

Vicki and Rob, glad to hear hummers are not on their menu.Oh yes, the rabbits and doves are hard to protect. The doves just don't seem too smart and the rabbits prefer to be in the front yard. All grass with few places to hide. I read that they fly South for the winter. I hope they do and forget how to get back here!

o

I agreed.Hummingbird are too small for a Cooper's Hawk meal.

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade hummingbird nectar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here