Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humming birds still in our backyard - it's getting colder

Posted by mielemaid Sonoma County, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 21:42

I'm a bit worried that the hummingbirds haven't gone wintering yet. We live in zone 9, live in N California, in Sonoma county. I just went outside to the backyard and I heard them.

Should I be worried? We still have these lantern like plants they love and they're still blooming.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humming birds still in our backyard - it's getting colder

Here in CA we have Anna's Hummingbirds all year round. I wouldn't worry about Hummers in Sonoma. We are farther North then you, in the N. Sacramento Valley. We keep feeders up year round. I figure they need the extra food more when it's cold.
Donna

o

In Portland, Oregon, just in the past three years, we've had Anna's winter over. We never used to have them year-round, but we do now! I wouldn't fret too much. I know people in your area who are experiencing the same thing and actually did last year as well.

o

This morning at 7AM, we had 7 Anna's at our feeder. They have been mobbing it all day long. The rain we had this weekend didn't slow them down a bit, they were at the feeder all day long.
Donna

o

I live in Washington, north of Seattle, and we have plenty of Anna's Hummingbirds now. They stay here all year round.

o

Having not spent any time in Ca those different climates you have boggles my mind. Sure wouldnt worry about anything in zone 9.

I also have the pp209 feeders and $9.75 is the best price Ive seen I usually see them discounted at mayble $12.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 10:33

These little creatures are a lot tougher than you would imagine, I noticed three the first day of rough weather last week where it stayed below freezing and put out a feeder, bringing it in at night, mixing the sugar/water ratio a little stronger so it wouldn't freeze as quickly.

Storm passed on Thanksgiving day finally (4 days) and they are still here a week later. I wish I knew where they had gone at night when it was 20F, but apparently they found someplace suitable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here