Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_t99

51N -114W Hummingbird

Triple_T99
10 years ago

Should I take feeder down? As title says, I am in Crossfield, Alberta and have a lone hummingbird that has hung around the feeder for the last 10 days. Nights are getting down to -2C to -5C and all the plants are dying.
It has drank just over 5oz. of nectar last week.
I am worried that it may not survive the long journey south.

Thanks,
Terry

Comments (12)

• mehitabel
    10 years ago

Triple_T99, please don't take the feeder down til you haven't seen him for at least a week, or even more. He really needs the extra to fatten up for the trip south. You can help him by increasing the sugar content from 4:1 to 2:1.

The books all say that feeders do not stop them from migrating when they are ready. He was probably born a second breeding, bottom of toten pole for food, and trying to catch up now that the competition is gone.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Great advice. Poor little guy. Terry, please let us know what happens.

• Triple_T99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caught it on camera today. Strengthened up the nectar to 1/3 cup sugar to 1 cup water. Hope this helps it strengthen up. Thanks mehitabel!

I was thinking, since the geese haven't left; this little guy might be all right!

Terry

• kioni
    10 years ago

I had one visit my borage this year on Oct 2nd. I was surprised!

Years prior I only noticed them passing through approx the last week of August thru to mid September. 2012 I started to see them the first week of August, but none after mid September.

This year I saw my first in the last week of July, and then I made a note of September 9th being the last day. Nope, saw another one on September 23rd. So marked that down. Nope, now it's the 2nd of October.

I am located approx one hour's drive north of the Montana border. I gave up on feeders, since I never noticed a bird on them compared to the plants. They've favoured the Agastache Acapulco Salmon and Pink, Lobelia Cardinalis, and my cardinal vine. One year one bird was obsessed with my purple coneflower, this year the plant came down with yellow asters so it was removed.

Am glad I'd left the borage out for the bees.

We had a -6 overnight temperature, I'm sure there is nothing left in my yard for your fella, sure hope he makes it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

How cool! Nice pics too. There are still a ton of them around here, but the fighting has almost ceased to exist. The ants are back too. Interesting that they weren't a problem for a while, then suddenly the feeders are all covered with them again.

• Triple_T99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's still feeding here today!
    I let the birding society in Calgary see the pictures and they think it might be a young Anna's. It disappeared yesterday for about 4 hours. Saw it again at sunset and it fed for about 4 minutes. Boy was it hungry!
    And it looks like we might get no freezing for the next 3 nights. Yay!

Off topic...

Yesterday a Blue Jay startled the finches feeding. One of the house finches knocked itself out against a window while fleeing. The blue jay then proceeded to try and eat the finch. Needless to say, I went onto the deck and scared the blue jay away, picked up the finch and kept it safe until it revived.
    I have a picture through the window (not very good one though) of the blue Jay over the finch.

• mehitabel
    10 years ago

Wow, Triple-T. I knew Jay's ate eggs and baby birds of other species, but trying to eat a whole bird!

Glad you were there to rescue it!

PS I love the pictures of your little hummer. Thanks for posting them.

• Triple_T99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The little guy is still here! Here's the latest picture of it! Enjoy!

• mehitabel
    10 years ago

Triple, your little guy is getting chubby! His bottom has definitely expanded since the first picture :)

Please let us know when he leaves, I'd like to know how late they actually can stay.

• hawkeye_wx
    10 years ago

All you can do is keep the feeder up and hope the hummer leaves at some point. It's possible it'll stay too long and get into trouble with cold weather, but there's nothing you can do about that.

• Triple_T99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Think that she has finally migrated. Last sight was Monday October 14 at 1842 hr. MDT

• mehitabel
    10 years ago

I hate to see them go, but it feels good to know you helped fatten him up so he was strong enough to leave. And your little guy was really getting tubby! Had ti leave before he got too fat to fly :)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions