Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseyjohn1

Easy To Clean Feeders ???

jerseyjohn
17 years ago

I Hate My Feeders!

What a a pain to clean them!

I have the one's with the 4 little yellow plastic caps that plug into the red flowers that snap onto the base with a glass top with a narrow mouth that screws into the inside of the plastic base with the white center that keeps popping out.

Ya know what kind I'm talking about?

Also the glass one with a a narrow month and one piece bottom...Hard to get a toothbrush in it.

And a blown glass one which is very attractive but the copper tubes connected to the feeder flowers are clogged.

I'm thinking of getting this feeder. Does anyone have it?First Feeder...Second Feeder(I think it's the same)

Any suggestions?

Thanks Pat

Comments (21)

• beckygardener
    17 years ago

I bought 2 of the Humzinger feeders:
    http://www.hummzinger.biz/humzinger.htm

And the 2 links you had listed looked similiar but of course hold much more sugar water.

My feeders are very easy to clean. I just have to be careful when I remove the top not to break the perch. The plastic is a little flimsy on the perch part of the feeder.

I'd say get the ones you found. They "appear" to be pretty simple and easy to maintain.

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

I've had various feeders, both with the plastic and glass bottles, and found them impossible to deal with. I had purchased a Perky Pet Oasis, a saucer feeder, and love it, as did my hummers. They are oh-so-easy to clean! I have 2 feeders out at all times, and so the following year I went out and purchased another, and even one for a gift. My other feeders I did keep though, just in case I'll ever need them. I had gotten mine at Lowes, for I believe $10, which was the best price I had seen. They're the 6 port feeders, and I believe they hold 16oz. I only wish they had an 8oz feeder; I don't have that many hummers!!! I hang them from shepherds hooks, and never had any leakage or ant problems...

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Both feeders in your original post are the same. The bottle is still going to be a pain in the neck to clean. Check out the First Nature feeders. I have two of them since the summer of 2005. One stayed out all winter long. The bottles have a very wide mouth and the base comes complete apart for easy cleaning. I purchased mine at WalMart for just under $4.00 a piece. I have gotten rid of all my other feeders except for the First Nature feeders and the saucer feeders and my test tube feeders

Penny

• christy2828
    17 years ago

My favorite feeder is the hummzinger. It is SO easy to clean. I just use soap and water, and the scrub brush I have at the sink. About once a week, I soak it in some bleach water. It's fantastic! It doesn't leak, and it can get quite windy here in Maryland. It barely even moves in high wind. I bought the mini which holds about 8 ounces. I had about 20 or so hummers this year, and didn't have a problem with them finishing the nectar before refilling. Good luck! You've got a few months to think about it :) Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: hummzinger mini

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I believe this is the First Nature FeederClick Here
    I love it but....the bottle is plastic.For some reason I prefere glass.Maybe it dosen't matter.

The saucer one's really caught my eye(love the look and size and too easy to clean)also like this at Heritage Farms but it's too big.Click Here
    Is hard to see when it's getting low on sugar water?
    Any problems with plastic verses glass?

I did find this one on the webDr.JbWhich is glass but large and not too pretty.

What cracks me up is the size of these feeders.
    How many ounces do they think lets say 5 Hummers (in the average yard not a fly zone) can consume in 3 days.
    And they must also know we use at least 2 feeders in our yards.

Thanks,
    Pat

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Pat, I have had both glass and plastic. There are pros and cons with both (ie. glass bottles break, some plastics will fade over time) My First Nature feeder as I mentioned has been outside for 2 yrs. straight including all winter and still looks like it did when I bought it. I recently bought a third while WalMart still had them and there is no difference in their appearance as far as fading, etc. Dr. Jb's are also nice. All of the saucer feeders are plastic. The drawback with some of the newer feeders is the size especially for those of us who only need 8 ounce bottles or less in some cases but there are more people who need the larger feeders so I suppose they figure the 16ounce size is a compromise. I use the 16 ounce size and jut put 6-8 ounces in the feeder rather than filling it up. I keep anywhere from 3-8 feeders going from the time they arrive in spring until they head south in the fall. I now have 3 of the First Nature and 6 saucer feeders along with 4 Test tube feeders that I will put out for the juveniles when they arrive on the scene
    Penny

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

I would like to talk about what not to get , because there is a lot of different good and easy feeders out there. I have been reading about the best1 and how the hummers get caught in it and I would stay away from it completely , regardless of the improvements they say they have made. I also have a window hummer feeder that I would not recommend because the bottle is plastic and the plastic clips that attach to the base tend to break and I had to super glue those back 3times this summer, problem is the hummers seem to like this feeder [perky pet half-round 8oz] and you can never fill it full. Everyone that has the hummzinger swear by it so it must be worthwhile. I for one prefer the bottle type and glass , but will most likely get a humzinger next. If you have a bottle type feeder, I found this brush at walmart [rangebrush] it is long and flexable and I love it , also use baby brush for the necks. Another place to look for a variety of feeders is tractor supply if you have one near you. Petsmart put me onto them.

• bella_trix
    17 years ago

I really love my hummzinger feeders!

http://www.birdfeeding.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=2

or

http://www.aspectsinc.com/2_Hummingbird.htm

They are really easy to clean by hand but are also top dishwasher rack safe. I bought two. I just swap them out and put the dirty one in the dishwasher.

Bellatrix

• hungryhummer
    17 years ago

We've been using the Perky Pet 48oz. 'Grand Master' feeders for the past couple of years. It couldn't be easier to fill or clean. The wide mouth nectar reservoir is simple to disconnect with a slight counter-clockwise twist. The size of the reservoir also makes it easy to mix the sugar and water directly in the cylinder. We have eight of these feeders. They hang outside year round. After over two years they show no sign of UV damage or undue wear. I recommend them highly.

• rita_h
    17 years ago

Another vote for Hummzinger (and other saucer-type feeders). I've had my first Hummzinger for 7 years now -- no leakage, no breakage, no bugs, no fading.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

One thing I have discovered is that a lot of the late fledged hummers are not familiar with how to use a feeder probably because most of the area hummers have left. I find that the test tube feeders are usually the first ones that they learn to use if they use one at all.

Penny

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

One thing I have discovered is my hummers have no problem feeding from my feeders adult or hatchlings and tend to ignore my flowers, but in every area there is an opposite to this phenomenon.

• rita_h
    17 years ago

Penny, I've seen that, too. The young'uns try to feed from UNDER the saucer.... I shouldn't but it always makes me laugh, the silly things. They seem to figure it out after a few tries, though. Don't know if they figure it out on their own or if they're watching other birds.

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone!!!

First Nature & Hummzinger have my vote.

Can't beat the price for First Nature but I'm still looking for a good deal on the Hummzinger.

Thanks again,
    Pat

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Pat
    I have yet to find a 'ggod deal' on the Humzinger unless you can find one at a yard sale or on Ebay.

Penny

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Pat--Not sure what you call a good buy , but I too have been shopping around for a good buy on a hummzinger and you might take a look at this , best nest. It is only 8oz size but unless you have an awfull lot of hummers who needs the bigger size when you need to change them every 2 or 3 days anyway. Best price Ive seen so far--Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: hummzinger mini

• cfancher
    17 years ago

We like shopping at SongbirdGarden.com for hummingbird feeders and accessories. They have a great selection of quality blown glass, bottle, saucer and window mounted hummingbird feeders. They carry Bird Brain, Droll Yankees, Perky Pet, Opus, Songbird Garden Collection, Perry, Dr. J and others. I'll post their link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Songbird Garden

• nausetguy
    17 years ago

I would also consider the Best-1 feeder line. It is simple to keep clean; only 3 parts. They come in an 8oz, 32 oz, and 72oz capacity. They can be found online. I got mine at www.fatruby.com They offer free shipping.

• digsdahlias
    17 years ago

I like plastic vs. glass, just because they freeze here in the winter and I'm afraid of glass breaking. I switch them with an unfrozen one in the morning. For cleaning, what does everyone use -- I've been using a toothbrush (red, of course!) - it's great for getting in the small holes and areas of the feeder - Kathy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kathy I like the plastic for the same reason that you mentioned. Since I switched to the First Nature feeders for the bottle style I don't need to use little implements to clean the feeders and ports. I wash throughly rinse then soak in a diluted vinegar solution for a few minutes. I do use a dish brush to go over the ports but the rest can be washed with my hand or the brush. My saucer feeders are dishwasher safe so they go into the dishwasher at the end of the season. During active use I am able to snap the lid off and just wash them out in the sink.

Penny

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Kathy-- I too prefer the bottle type , but I prefer the glass to plastic, but at any rate I too have a toothbrush for cleaning and a baby bottle brush plus a range brush , which I really like because it is long and flexible and can be purchased at walmart. I havent had any problems with glass freezing and breaking though. Maybe that was a freak thing or wasnt a good quality feeder. Ive used the opus 0455 and also the perky pet 30oz left them out all winter , no problems.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions