Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opaleyes

need Central Fla. hummer advise

opaleyes
13 years ago

Hello, I still have a large lone female at my feeder, all others are long gone. Never had a hummer this late so I really do not know what to do......could she be wintering with us? She does not look like the RT's we enjoyed this summer. I will leave my feeder up and clean if I need to. Any advise welcome and needed. Thanks to all.

Comments (16)

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I left my feeder up late this year due to advice from a newspaper article and I've had an immature male RT since 11/5 and I live in Frederick County,MD. I'm going to keep the feeder up indefinitely and hopefully he'll leave when he's put on enough weight since it will be getting pretty cold soon. Hummingbird experts say keeping a feeder up will not make them stay, they will leave when they're ready, I'm just surprised at the hummers that aren't ready for warmer temperatures! Maybe "Junior" will come visit your feeder when he leaves here!

• opaleyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks bluehummer, I will keep the feeder up and clean. We are having temps in the high 30's at night, that has caused some concern. Will keep a eye out for your "Junior". Thanks for your responce.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

You're welcome. I saw "Junior" this morning around 7:00 when it was about 35 degrees out. I saw advice on different websites on how to keep the sugar/water from freezing and I'm following two of them. I increased the sugar/water ratio to 1:3 and I put bubble wrap around the feeder with duct tape. Just passing this along in case you want to try it. I don't bring the feeder in at night because I also read that sometimes the hummers will feed even a couple of hours before sunrise when they need it the most.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Hey, Bluehummer. I live in Clermont, just west of Orlando and I still have one or two females hanging around. Last year I had them until the freezes. Depending upon where you are there are hummers that winter in Florida--Ruby-throateds that is. There will be some Rufous coming down soon also.

Most of the Ruby-throateds that winter here go further south of me. They were reported in the Miami area a few weeks back. The ones that migrate to Mexico and Central America have just about all left. If you have one now, and it's a Ruby-throated, it's almost for sure going to overwinter here in Florida, but not necessarily in your garden. They move around.

Keep your feeder clean and full. You will probably be seeing her or another one again.

Tom

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

Well, as much as I love to see a hummingbird in November, I don't think it would be good for "Junior" to remain here in MD all winter. I read that Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds are not as cold-weather hardy as Rufous hummers. I saw him about a half-dozen times today and at one point he flew right in front of my face at eye level and that ruby red throat was just dazzling!

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I still have the female(I think its a she) and the adult male hanging around. The female is now coming to the feeder throughout the day even though I still have plenty of flowers. I see the male less but then I don't sit by the area like I do here where I see the female. She stays in the Crepe Mrytle tree when not feeding. We will have trouble if Hummie, the male, show up for the winter. He doesn't like to share.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Just dropping in to say that today I had an immature male Rufous come to my feeder Have an adult male ruby as well, who has been here a while. Only caught sight of the Rufous once but got it ID from a picture I sent Fred Basset. It's cold here tonight, supposed to be around 23 in the morning. Hopeing the hummers found a warm place to spend the night. I will be puttinf the feeders back out early tomorrow morning for them.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

The hummer that I had turned out to be a hatch year male Anna's. It was banded on 12/9 after being in the yard since 11/5 and a few hours later it took off and haven't seen him since. I thought it was an immature male ruby throat. So, maybe one of you may see him at your feeder. If you look closely you'll see a tiny band on his right leg, you may need to use binoculars. I would love to know that he's okay.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Where are you located, Bluehummer?

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I live in Frederick County, MD

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Are Anna's common there? We had a guy here in Lakeland, FL that had an Allen's Hummingbird a couple winters ago. It is very rare to see one here. They thought that it was probably blown off course by a storm that had come through. It spent most of the winter in his yard.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

No, they are very rare here. As a matter of fact it's only the second one ever to be seen here. The thought is that the ones that were just hatched this year are trying to figure out how to migrate and some of them wander way off course and end up in the east. They stay primarily up and down the CA coastline as well as AZ.

• Tom
    13 years ago

Mary, it's very cool that you have seen a Rufous. It gives me hope. I still only have one female ruby-throated--or at least only one that I have seen.

How did your plants come out after the freeze, Mary? I saw Sulfurs, Monarchs, Fritilaries and an American Painted Lady. Also some small ones. I'm going to need to go out and buy some nectar plants!

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Tom, the garden isn't looking too good. Even though I covered my Pipevine, the leaves appear to be burnt to a crisp. Down lower I do see some green leaves and I am hoping the roots were protected enough. I didn't lose any last year but I also had more mulch around the bases than this year. My tall red pentas are goners again. I brought in some of my Salvias since the hummers do use them. Cape Honeysuckle looks damaged but not dead - yet.

I may have 1 or 2 male Rubies - the other morning I was seeing one about every 8 minutes. Makes me think its more than one. The Rufous was here today. If you go to Florida Gardening Forum I posted some pics from Tues. morning. Various birds that came to feed and there is a pic of the Rufous. The posting title is Busy Morning in My Yard. Did you get my email that I forwarded from Doreen?

• Tom
    13 years ago

I did get your email, Mary. I don't know if I have enough hummers to warrant a visit, though.

I had two today. Went out and bought a bunch of plants and repotted them for the butterflies and hummingbirds.

My Cape Honeysuckle made it through the freezes and it is now the favorite of the hummers. I have it growing up a Crepe Myrtle.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I now have two Rufous - the immature male and a female - I am hoping it is the female from last year. Haven't been able to get a good enough picture of the right leg. Also seeing a male adult on occasion and another bird, which I am hoping is a returnee from last year as well.

Fred came to my house for 1 bird last year so 2 may be worth a stop if its not too far out of her way. You never know, wouldn't hurt to let her know.

Hope you have a happy holiday and stay warm - looks like we are in for more cold weather on Monday. GRRRR...

Sponsored
More Discussions