Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help W/ injured hummer Please

Posted by pookie333 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 7:54

For 2 months I have been trying to get help with an injured humming bird. I hope this post doesn't get me in trouble, I know it's illegle to keep a hummer but I live out in the country. I have tried to call and e-mail several
rehabs but get no answers, other than I can get in trouble if I keep this bird.
I'll try to make this short- found an injured bird, I put him up in a flower basket thinking he would fly away. I left him for two days out side in the basket. I kept feeding him from the feeder out side. Started looking for help at that point. I brought him in and started feeding him hard boiled egg yolk and bird vitamins in nectar. In another feeder I just put nectar. I have him living in a mesh cat carrier. He is doing very well except for loosing a few feathers. That's my story. Can Anyone Please help?
Thanks In advance in case the hummingbird police come to get me now that I posted this for all the world to see.
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help W/ injured hummer Please

• Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 14:17

Yiou don't say where you live but I hope you find help and that you have hummers during the winter time. If not, you are probably going to have to raise it through the cold weather. You didn't ID the bird either so I am assuming it is a Ruby throated. Sorry, I don't have any help to give other than knowing they eat insects and need both nectar and protein to live. You must be doing it some good since its still alive. How was/is it hurt? Can it fly at all?

o

I live in eastern ky. The hummer isn't a ruby throat I don't know exactly what kind he is but he is green. He can't fly, I think he has an injured wing. When he wants to move he spins in circles. He does get himself to the feeder himself but I make sure I feed him often.
Today my nephew brought me a bird cage, so now he has more room and more light. I just can't believe he's lived this long but I could not see leaving him to die outside.

o

You might try posting about this on another hummer forum where some experts read/post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here