Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie question about trimming hummingbird vines

Posted by cdwe 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 9:06

We had hummingbird vine grow up from the seed this season.
It did very well, obtaining 6 feet high and 4 feet wide.
My new guy question is: Should we cut all this new, now dormant vine back to ground level? WE sure don't want to lose what we have accomplished. Thanks cdwe@aol.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie question about trimming hummingbird vines

I think they reseed. Though, I have no idea where you live, and that will be the deciding factor :) Christy

o

• Posted by cdwe 6 Missouri (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 18:49

Response to Christy2828. I live in Missouri zone 6. This winter temperatures will get to 0 or below a few times.
cdwe@aol.com

o

Found this...
I need to get some seeds myself and plant them in my bird garden.
The only thing I have in the garden in the summer that the hummers love is the Lucifer (crocosmia) and fushias on my deck in baskets.
I need to add more variety in the garden itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Vine

o

Then according to the following site, they are only hardy to 9a. Sorry, they'll probably die off, but they should reseed, so you can grow again next year! Christy

BTW, I have family from St. Louis :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Vine Hardiness

o

I am confused, when you say "Hummingbird Vine" is that just a general term for a vine that grows that hummingbirds love or is there such a thing as a Hummingbird Vine?

I am going to grow Honeysuckle vine next year. Alabama Crimson (which is a hybrid of the native Coral Honeysuckle) and is hardy in my zone. Does that mean that this will not resprout on wintered over dormant wood?

Or am I just confused about the vine the OP is talking about?

Thanks all :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here