Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilynp_gw

Hummers in ZONE 10 ?????

marilynp
16 years ago

Hello Everyone, I am new here, and enjoying it so much. There is a lot of information and interesting people to meet and talk with' everyone is so giving of their expert advice and knowledge.

I LOVE HUMMERS. My daughters, one in Fredericksburg VA, and another daughter in Chester NH have these beautiful birds at their feeders..do I have ANY chance here in Florida??

I have a feeling their are traveling right now, and put up a feeder yesterday. I do have some flowers that should grab their attention, but is it even possible?!!

I feel it is!! We went up to Gainsville a year ago, about this time, and we saw some at the B&B we stayed, so they can that far!

Any help or comments, I would be so very greatful..have a great "fall day", if you are here with me in St. Pete. MarilynP

Comments (7)

• sqlguy
    16 years ago

off-season sightings are listed at this website, which includes many florida counties for ruby throat. I suspect you have other species there as well, like perhaps rufous, others.
    http://www.geocities.com/trochilids/

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird maps

• jlosc
    16 years ago

I'm in Central Florida between Orland and Tampa. The hummingbirds left my area I'd say in July. I saw one stray one on Sept 11, but haven't seen any since :(

• bulldogsnbutterflies
    16 years ago

about 2 weeks ago i saw my first hummingbird in zone 10 at a nursery in broward county.then on thanksgiving day i saw my first hummingbird in my yard.it was nectering on some firebush.i havent seen it since but was glad to see it passing through the area.it was a ruby-throated.good luck.

• tomncath
    16 years ago

Hi Marilyn,

I've lived in Pinellas since 1957 (up near Riviera Bay). I'm sorry to say you're probably at least a decade too late to see hummers in this area, too much concrete and asphalt...gone the way of the quail and striped lizard due to loss of habitat, sufficiently sized naturally wooded areas just don't exist here anymore. My neighbor has a 25' bottlebrush in her front yard but I have not seen a hummer there since the early-nineties. We do still see them at my sisters place in Lecanto, but that area is still heavily wooded....I'd contact the St. Pete Audubon to see if there are any sightings in the county anymore before trying to set up some feeders.

• thegardenzone
    16 years ago

in my west part of pinellas i havent seen any all my life, but i thought atleast the suburbs would hold a few somewhere that i haven't seen yet, but that's too sad if their all gone:(

• janellelee
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I live in Hialeah and there are 14 or 17 (not sure which) different species of hummers here in South Florida
    Firespike is a BIG attractor for hummers.
    Richard Lyons sells it. (South dade, Fl)
    Flamingo gardens also carries it. (Davie Fl.)
    Once they find your yard, they will return.
    I have a friend who lives in West Hialeah and she ALWAYS gets hummingbirds!
    Please come back and let me know what happens.
    Thanks Jan
    Firespike
    {{gwi:1002629}}
    Local hummer here in South Florida, I don't know the name, If anybody does please let me know
    Thanks!
    {{gwi:115945}}

• seathrill
    15 years ago

Hi all ! I live in Lakeland, (between Tampa and Orlando), we went to a hummingbird/butterfly seminar at a local garden store a couple of weeks ago (mid May). The speaker at the seminar said the most visited bush by hummingbirds is the Fire Spike bush. He said "If you haven't seen a humming bird, plant a Fire Spike bush and you will see one "! "I guarantee you will see one !" Well, we purchased 2 Fire Spike bushes. They bloom late in the summer through the frost. So will have to wait for blooms. My sister lives 6 miles from me and has several and last year when it was blooming, they said the hummers loved the Fire Spike! The bushes root easily from soft stem cutting, so easy to propagate. The bush will grow in semishade also. Hope this helps............

Sponsored
More Discussions