Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter humming bird needs help

Posted by birds7212 none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 13:03

We have a winter humming bird here in Spokane WA and not sure how to keep it alive in this cold. Have feeder out and trying to keep it from freezing for the bird can anyone give advise or help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter humming bird needs help

There is a forum for hummingbirds called, The Hummingbird Forum.
Google it.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 11:12

They stay through winter here too, of course we don't have nearly your cold and when we do, it lasts just a few days.

I mix the sugar water ratio stronger temporarily, the more sugar, the slower it freezes. Sugar water, 1 part sugar to 3 or even 2 1/2 parts water, will stay liquid and usable to the hummers for a good 12 hours or so at temps just below freezing.

I have more than one feeder, and during an unusual freeze like we had last winter where daytime temps stayed well below freezing, I rotated them, bringing one in to the laundry room to thaw while the other was being used. For those nights in the 'teens'....I would bring them in after dark, DH would return them about an hour before daylight. And we did that both Fri and Sat night here this last weekend.

There are some more ideas here - my feeders are the saucer style and don't lend themselves to adapting as suggested though....

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen nectar

o

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and have a beautiful green hummingbird with a vivid bright pink/red throat. It comes to my feeder, but then goes to the gravel in the yard and just lays there like it is injured. When I approach it, the bird flies like it is ok, goes to feeder drinks and then goes back to the gravel and just lies there. It has done this for 3 days, all day long. I am puzzled. Can anyone explain this behavior?

o
RE: Lazy or Injured Humingbird

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and have a beautiful green hummingbird with a vivid bright pink/red throat. It comes to my feeder, but then goes to the gravel in the yard and just lays there like it is injured. When I approach it, the bird flies like it is ok, goes to feeder drinks and then goes back to the gravel and just lies there. It has done this for 3 days, all day long. I am puzzled. Can anyone explain this behavior?

o

We appreciate the help we are getting for our winter visitor. On the Hummingbird Forum site someone suggested we got a reply that said we should contact a bander...but we have no idea how to find a bander in our area. Can anyone give us any information about this? So far the bird comes every morning with in a 15 min. window and stays of and on throughout the day. Such wonderful of natures creatures.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 11:18

birds7212, as a guess, you might try contacting the Spokane Audubon for possible phone numbers if you are looking for a bander -

Here is a link that might be useful: audubon spokane

o

Thanks for the info! Two mornings now I've been rushing a feeder out in the early a.m. for the hummers, to avoid frozen nectar. We got down to 25.7F the night before last. This is my first year as a "winter hummer" host, so I'm learning as I go. I live out in country west of San Antonio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here