Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fl_gypsy

Where to place feeders

fl_gypsy
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts. My question is this. I know the feeders should be placed in the shade, but should they be in an area which has dense growth surrounding it or more in the open. Also, is there anyone out there who lives in the south Florida area (West Palm to Lauderdale) who actually has hummers visit their yards?

Comments (10)

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

Hi fl gypsy, I have been learning about the needs of hummers also.

I am maintaining one winter feeder. This feeder is just outside the window where my computer is so I can keep an eye on it. There is a wild cherry tree nearby which hummers use for perching in-between feeder visits. The leaves are slowly falling from the tree and I hope that this will give any winter visitors a clearer view of the feeder.

I have learned that hummingbirds like dense growth and I have plenty of that close by.

Since I live in NW GA I can't answer your question about your area hummer visits. If you Google "Operation Ruby Throated Hummingbirds" you may find the answer there. This site is wonderful! It lists by state all hummingbirds that has been sighted there during the winter. Also, good information on hanging feeders, etc. I was amazed to learn how many western hummingbirds have been seen here in GA. I bet the FL list could be even longer.

Welcome and I hope this helps.

Jean

• fl_gypsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanx Jean. I'll check out that site. I've never seen a hummingbird down here, but parents have seen one or two and I had a friend that said she had a few visit her yard in the winter time. Gonna put out my feeders and hope............

• vireyafl
    15 years ago

Hi Fl gypsy,
    I am in Jupiter and hummingbirds arrived here early September this year. They will stay till next Feb/March. I have a beautiful male who seems to be in charge and there are another 1-2 that I am not sure of the sex as the male usually chases them off. If you want to attract them to your yard you need to plant a lot of nectar producing flowers which bloom here in the winter - the favorite in my yard is red firespike. I have had my feeder out since they arrived but have not seen them use it once, whereas in previous years it was used regularly - I must have different birds from last year.

• fl_gypsy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you vireyafl. I have never seen one in my yard......of course I work all day so who knows what shows up. I am going to get some red firespike and see what happens. I have a lot of nectar plants and have a lot of butterflys, but no hummers. Glad to know that they do show up in this area.

• sarber
    15 years ago

Yes, live n Palm City and have two feeders up....I work also so don't know how many times during the day I miss their visits but do know they come. On weekends I get treated to their visits.

• nature_david
    15 years ago

Your best bet with the placement of the feeders is in a place where it won't be hard for the Hummers to find it, but not like out in the middle of your yard either. I've had my best luck by hanging them from a shephards hook under small trees. Good luck...

• rowdy13
    15 years ago

fl_gypsy,

I'm not in southeast Florida but I am just outside Tampa. I keep a blog of the activity in my yard at: http://mysite.verizon.net/resu64md/yardhummers/ (when things change and I've got the time) and request sighting reports from throughout the state. I can say that I've received a number of reports from your area. A lot of hummingbirds winter across south Florida. Also, birds are still moving through the state. I typically see new birds into January.

Steve Backes

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds in My Yard

• LaurelLily
    15 years ago

I agree about the shepherd's hook; mine liked to have a place to perch between feedings where they could see rival hummers approaching and chase them off. And having it by a window is a must. You won't want to miss looking up and watching their antics.

• bulldogsnbutterflies
    15 years ago

hi , im in south broward county and just want to share my experiances with you in regards to hummingbirds.im no expert but my yard was once sprawling lawn and exotic trees which provided nothing for wildlife.to make a long story short my yard is approx. 1/4 acre, not big at all.i now have a resident red-bellied woodpecker (babies raised on premises) two mockingbird nests this year alone, and last year and this year hummingbirds.the point im eventually getting to is that i have a feeder that is the same one my mother-in-law uses in tenn. and the same sugarwater mix that she uses and the hummers refuse to use it.hers are heavily used.i have about 6 mature mexican firebush that is the hummers first choice.second it will visit my red powderpuff and an occasional trip to my firespike and chinese hats,and red shrimp plants.so i reccommend the firebush ,i paid $4 each at a nursery and they are nectar plants for hummers&butterflies, provide berries for birds, and are a host plant for a hornworm moth thing.
    happy gardening

• mike32901
    15 years ago

I live in east central fl.Melbourne, I see hummers regularly but they seem to be passing through,the recent cold front seems to have moved them further south,last sighting was 12/06.They never use my feeder but I have lots of red clerodendron and they love it!!!

Sponsored
More Discussions