Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
East Coast - Keep Your Feeders Up!

Posted by bella_trix z6b SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 15:29

I have a Rufous hummingbird right now in SE PA near Collegeville and there are two others just west of me in Ephrata, PA. If you are south or east, please keep your feeders up. These three will be headed through with little to eat after frost hits. The hummingbird bander I have been talking to suggests keeping the feeders up to at least Thanksgiving, maybe later.

Thank you!
Bellatrix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: East Coast - Keep Your Feeders Up!

I am in SE PA, I haven't seen any hummingbird for months now. Have you seen hummingbirds at this time in previous years?

o

Hey Everyone....I live here in Va. Beach, Va. and I haven't seen any little critters as of late!!! The last time I had some stop by was in early Oct....I took down my feeders last week...but if you think that we here on the coast will see a few straglers left behind...then up they will go!!!! They will be up in ten minutes....let them know ""Lunch is being served in Va. Beach!!!! "

Laura in VB

o

Hi Laura and Sara,

For the last 4-5 years, we have been getting about 10 Western hummingbirds a year that come through Sept-Nov in Pennsylvania. They are not migrating on their correct west coast route and end up here accidentally. They then (hopefully) continue south. The birds are usually Rufous hummingbirds and migrate through well after our Ruby-throated hummingbirds have left. The people who study these hummingbirds suggested leaving your feeders up until at least Thanksgiving. A couple of the hummers have stayed in PA until January in the past. My hummingbird left last Friday, but at least one Rufous is still in Pennsylvania right now.

Bellatrix

o

Hi, Bellatrix!

I will try to keep the feeder up longer next year and keep changing the sugar water . Usually when I don't see any hummingbirds for a while in September, I just give up.

o

Hey Everyone,

I haven't seen any visitors to my feeders...but I will keep them up for another few weeks!!! Even though we had a huge storm here in Virginia Beach...hopefully they will hear the dinner bell!!! LOL...

Laura in VB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here