Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eden_gw

Hummer here after Thansgiving!

eden
16 years ago

My H.B. usually leave around October 10th. As I was taking bird seed to me winter birds, a hummer came up behind me. She was thin. I made some food for her and she has been hanging around. The temps. have been 32*. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

You have a big problem there, Eden. It's the second worst part about feeding hummingbirds. I would suggest using a 3:1 mixture at this late time of the season. What species HB is she? If you have two feeders you can bring one in over night to warm it and then switch them in the morning, and alternate them through the day if you can to keep them warm.

I would recommend you find your nearest hummingbird rehabber now, as it may take some time to find them. That way if the situation worsens you have a plan and somewhere to take her.

These folks are in GA but they may know the right people in your area.

http://www.gahummer.org/hummer_rehabilitators.htm

And here's a few in Indiana who might know of any in your area as well.

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/indiana-rehabilitators.html

Here is a link that might be useful: wildlife rehabbers

• eden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bring in the feeder every night to keep it from freezing. That'a a good idea to keep a couple going to keep them warm. I will make stronger food. Thanks for responding. I wasn't sure anyone was checking this sight since the season is pretty much over. I will contact the sources you gave me. Eden

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

Hi Eden,

There's a link on "My Page" for our hummingbird garden group. We have quite a few hummingbird people on the list as well as a few experts and one rehabilitator who are members. You and anyone else here are welcome to join.

• eden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update: I contacted the links jimmy gave me and then contacted the Mo Conservation of Wildlife and the Audubon Society. Long story short, a gentleman from St Louis is coming to my home tomorrow to band the little bird. He thinks it's probably a rufous hb vs. a ruby throated. The Rufous are the ones that usually show up around here late fall etc. I guess there was one that wintered over (Rufous) last winter in a town 15 miles from me. The hb. go into "topor" at night when it's cold. I will continue to feed her, and I will let you know just what kind of hummingbird I have after tomorrow. I was also told to increas the hummingbird syrup to a ratio of 3:1 which I have done. It keeps the syrup from freezing longer and also gives the bird more energy. This is exciting to me! The above things I have learned via the contacts I have had. Thankyou for inviting me to your hummingbird garden group. Eden

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

OOh Eden ..I too have Hummingbirds still, two of them.
    They are Anna's. The dominate male is out all the time at the feeder. I'm not sure if the other is a female or a younger male though. Can't get a close enough look.
    I'll bump up my feed to 3:1. It was snowing off and on today, and several times I looked out someone was feeding.

• teamphillips
    16 years ago

I am new at watching hummingbirds, so please forgive my ignorance. Are they not supposed to be here on the Oregon coast in the winter? We have 2 h.b.s here that frequent our feeder, under our eves, and they sit on our (empty) hanging baskests. Do I need have someone come check them out? What can I do for them in the meantime? Thanks for any help.

• eden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teamphillips, This is what I have leasrned in the past two weeks. You probably have Rufous hummingbird. They take cold weather better. I believe the Anna HB stays year around in Oregon. I would continue to feed your little bird and you may want to contact the Oregon Wildlife Conservation Dept or Audubon Society. You can find either on the www. Also, do some research on hummingbirds in Oregon. Let me know what you find out. HOw cold does it get where you are?
    My hummer turned out to be a ruby throated. We took pictures, but I don't know how to put them on the site. I am using a "brooder light" near the feeder to keep it from freezing and to let the hummer "warm up". Brooder lights are used for baby chicks.
    Very serious birders like to band these stray birds to study them.

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

Teamphillips, are there any little knats or fruit flies still around your place? If it hasn't gotten cold enough to kill the insects your hummingbirds should be OK. You could put out some over ripe bananas and vinegar in a plastic dish to attract fruit flies. Hummingbirds eat them and other soft body insects for protein. They can't live very long on sugar water alone.

• teamphillips
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the information! We did to some reasearch on the web yesterday, it looks more like the anna's hb than anything. we got a few pictures w/ the cell phone. i have two hanging baskets i may try to put the frit in as we have silly dogs that would eat them. it has just been amazing to watch them. here on the coast it can be in the low 20s, we've had a few days of frost. Right now it's been up to 100mph winds and those little guys have been hanging on to the baskets and we see them fly to/from our rhodies across the yard. thanks again..off to do more research on our new hobby!

• eden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ordered some "nektar plus" over the www. I have not made it yet, but it has all the nutrients a hummer needs. (supposedly). I have since been told that it is messy to make and will not last more than two hours in warm weather. I will let you know how it works.

• lesteck
    16 years ago

It Christmas, so I wrapped our feeder in Christmas lights, and the 4:1 hasn't frozen yet. It doesn't seem to deter the HB's either.
    I actually have more hummingbird's now than before the wrap. Outside of Portland OR, and 5 birds are challenging for three feeders.

• eden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, we had 22* low about four nights ago and today, it was 62*. It is suppose to be more "average" by the weekend: 45* to 25* day/night temps. My hummer is still here. I made up the "necktar plus" and she is drinking it. Lesteck, what kind of hummers do you have?

• lesteck
    16 years ago

The male Anna's rules the roost next to the house. Three total claim ownership over each of 3 feeders, and I believe the other two squatters are female anna's. But the truth is, I'm just not that good at id-ing these yet, plus I'm at work during winter daylight, and only get to watch the activities for 1 hour a day at lunch.

The two other less fortunate hb's trying to steel a sip, I just don't know what they are. I had Ruby throated around in the summer, but pretty sure they're long gone.

Sponsored
More Discussions