Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?

ladyrose65
9 years ago

I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia species. The Petunia integifoila, & exserta were claimed to be special attractants and good nectar suppliers for hummer's and hawk-moth's. Both species are tropical to my zone. Anyone whom has grown these particular Petunia species, were they worth the buy? Did they attract Hummingbirds and Hawkmoths?

Comments (9)

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Hi, ladyrose. I grew both of these last summer. Can't say I ever saw a hummer on them, but they were planted right near four feeders, and several other hummingbird plants. So there was a lot of competition for the hummer's attention.

In case you decide to buy: the exserta is more upright and smaller than the integri.

The integer is a beauty-- small dark magenta flowers. Flowers maybe 1" diameter, but absolutely thousands of them. One plant spreads very widely. Also makes cuttings very easily, and cuttings bloom right away. Would be beautiful in pots.

You can probably tell I think these are definitely worth trying/

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Like all petunias, these are very hardy. They did pretty well to app 24F, finally succumbed at 12F last night.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mehitabel. I guess I will be placing an order at Annie's.

Thanks.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Ladyrose, I was thrilled to discover Annie's just this year. I never saw such an assortment of wonderful plants anywhere else. Delighted to find someone else who shops there.

• roper2008
    9 years ago

Annie's Annuals has super expensive shipping rates. You
    can grow petunia exserta by seed really easy. This year
    was second year growing exserta and I never saw hummers
    using it. I've decided not to grow it next year. It is a pretty
    little red petunia, flowers and blooms all summer.
    I've mainly sticking to salvia's for hummers.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Roper, you're right. The shipping is very expensive. Probably doubles the price of a plant. But the plants are wonderful, many of them unavailable anywhere else, and a little underpriced. Most importantly, if you love to garden, they have things you absolutely can't find anywhere any more.

This is just one example: Years ago, I grew a tall blue ageratum (annual). Have not seen the seed anywhere for years. I love ageratum, but the tiny puny ags you get from nurseries in the spring don't even grow, much less grow big. Annie's has the old-fashioned tall ag, just a beautiful thing, non-stop bloomer. Mine spread to app 3' wide and 20" or so high, bloomed all summer thru heat and didn't stop tip hard frost.. Cutting some for flowers for the house didn't even make a dent. All that for the price of two measly six-packs of a puny 2" ag.

So this is one that is definitely worth a premium to me, just to have it. There are lots of others, too, and even more if you live in a warmer zone than mine.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Roper and Mehitabel.

• wardda
    9 years ago

A bunch of us have worked with exserta and found it to be unattractive to North American hummingbirds. Those trying to stock up on hummingbird plants should probably give Petunias in general a pass.

• ValVal
    9 years ago

I agree with giving a pass on Petunias. I still keep them, but the hummingbirds never touch them. In my yard they like salvias, gladiolas and some kind of red honeysuckle vine I found a couple of years ago. I love my hummingbirds!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions