Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

100% new to hummingbirds, have questions??????

tumblingtomatoes
15 years ago

Hi Everyone! We are 100% new to hummingbird gardening, this is our 1st yr. realy doing any gardening, mostly tomatoes & lettuces but we are now interested in expanding a bit to attract butterflies & hummingbirds. We live on the Space Coast of Florida but have some quesions.

We read somewhere that if you place feeders outside the hummers will come but if you were to stop or leave/move away then the hummers would die because they would come in search of their usual free meal & there wouldn't be any anymore? Is this true? You see, we are in a rental house,of which we only planned on living here for a year or two but now it may be longer. We've been here 2 yrs or so now & have hesitated so far.

The kids would love to see the hummers so we thought about planting flowers to attract them. If we plant flowers to attract them & eventually move away, if the owners tear out the flowers I am afraid the hummers who have been coming around may die? Will they seek out other nearby food sources?

Please let me know if we should plant or should not? What are the 4 easiest flowers to plant if I should plant?

What are the best times of day/year for us to watch for hummers?

Thanks so much for all the help! :) Have a great Holiday!

Comments (6)