Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to site with a friend!

Posted by kimsfish washington (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 12:39

Hello, I decided to join your site after looking up some migration info on my newly acquired hummingbird buddy! It would seem there are two of them, one with very little color, and another with a pretty vibrant green chest. They've been coming to my feeder all summer, but just when I thot they would be leaving due to freezing weather, they shocked me and stayed! They come rite at the break of dawn, I heat up the feeder and nectar before daylight so its ready when they come. They're so darn cute, I had no idea they would stay here and I've become very attached to them. Is there anything else I can do for them over the winter? I will try to get a picture to post-any info on them and winter would be appreciated,as I hope to help them survive, and be healthy and happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to site with a friend!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 18:04

I had the usual three here this morning, brought the feeders in after dark last night and back out by 6:30 this morning. I taped one of the disposable handwarmer packets to the bottom of the feeder for the back yard where it is colder and used room temperature not refrigerated sugar/water. Yesterday the smallest feeder froze (or got quite slushy) mid morning, today they've been fine with no icing up.

Tomorrow is a little bit of a worry with the forecast. But I don't know of anything you can do but keep food fresh and available, make sure its there especially for that first early fill up of the day and those last feedings as it's getting dark in the evening. There doesn't seem to be any way to offer them a warm dry place to overnight, they find their own shelter and I don't know where.

I'm not sure when they began staying instead of migrating, but we've fed the Annas in winter the last few years and they seem to be tougher than you might ever guess. If you get snow, just make sure the feeding ports are clear. I have the saucer type feeders and have to watch that ice, snow doesn't block the ports during the day.

o

Welcome and thanks for keeping your feeders up for the Annas. They have been expanding their territory north over the past several years but really rely on our feeders during these cold spells. Thank you for helping them out and caring...and Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

o

Hi & welcome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here