Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scented flowers?

Posted by madabouteu 8A - central Alabama (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 15:59

Newbie here... I was just reading in a book that hummers prefer red, unscented, tubular flowers. I was wondering - is there a positive dislike of scent, or is it just that scent has no role in attracting them? The same book, for instance, talks about Japanese honeysuckle being very attractive to rubythroats, and it certainly has quite a fragrance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scented flowers?

Hummingbirds like whatever the flowers they like. I don't think they necessarily dislike scented flowers. If you plant the flowering plants known to attract hummingbirds, you should have a good hummingbird garden. I've noticed that hummingbirds also go to some flowering plants that I've never seen on the usual lists, so don't be surprised if other kinds of flowers are used also.

o

Hummingbirds love scented flowers! Its just that since they can't really smell it doesn't play a huge role in attracting them. They don't discourage hummingbirds.

o

Hummingbirds have very little to no sense of smell, so it's not a factor. They have very keen eye sight though and the color red is easy for them to spot, that's why they are attracted to it.

My goal is to one day have my whole yard surrounded by Japanese honeysuckle. Give me a day when it's in bloom and there is a slight breeze blowing into my backyard and it's the closest thing to Heaven I have ever experienced! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com

o

Japanese Honeysuckle? That is such an invasive species. I would have coral honeysuckle. Lonicera Sepervirens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here