Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tibouchina uruilleana Princess Flower

Posted by ponytail 9 Alabama (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 04 at 9:46

Hi all! I have a spcial directed study class starting in a few days and need an experiment project for it. I bought a giant Princess Flower tree that is about 7 feet tall. Left it at the nursery cuz it's too cold to bring home yet. For my experiment I want to try and cross-breed it with something else. Would like to see if I can take the purple flowers on this tree and cross it with something that would either produce a double flower or a purple and white mix similar to the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow Tree. Any suggestions what to try and the best way to hybridize it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Ella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tibouchina uruilleana Princess Flower

Ella,
If you are going for purple and white mix, I would try T. Longifolia, as it already has this coloration. Good choice, BTW, on the Princess Flower tree as a parent. It looks like the flower parts are large enough to be(relatively)easy to work with.
Best of luck and keep us posted on the results.
Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Melastomataceae of the World

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here