Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerdew786

Hippeastrum / Amaryllis Propagation help

summerdew786
18 years ago

Hi,

I have more than 30 varieties of Amaryllis and all are well known registered varieties. I never tried cross breeding infact I have no idea how to do it.

I dont want to get new colors, i just want to multiply my old breeds. So guys I need your help how to do it. For example I have a breed named "Apple Blossom" I just want to get more bulbs out of it I can't wait for them producing single bubblet every year.

Is it possible to get it's seeds? How to get seeds? do I have to do self pollination or should I just wait for the flower to die and produce seed naturally?

I have no idea. Please Guide me!

Best Regards,

Ammar.

Comments (4)

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

a selfed amaryllis will not come true from seed. the only way to propogate is by division and forcing bulblets to form by cutting the bulb.

• bulbgardener
    18 years ago

Try slicing the bulb lengthwise into four quarters. You need to make sure that there is a portion of the basal plate on each section. Then, plant each section in a well drained media. Keep dry. After several months, you should be able to dig around and see a new bulb or bulbs forming upon the basal plate. Allow this to grow for a while. Eventually as the bulb takes on some size you can pot it into a larger container.

This method is an excellent means to ensure that you have a plant that is genetically the same as the original.

• rcarrow143
    17 years ago

I have self polinated my hippeastrum and I have recently crossed two different hippeastrum. (still waiting on the Pods to grow). Once the pod swells and opens the seeds are ripe and ready to germinate.

The self polination I did last year that produced seeds are growing and still very small, From what I understand it takes 2 to 3 years to get a flower, and then it will be a surprise. If you like surprises and are not in a hurry seeds are a great way to multiply your collection. If you want faster results and want to know what your results are going to be, then slicing the bulb as explained above would be your best bet.

When I want seeds, I always have to polinate the plant to assure it gets polinated. So far that has worked best for me.

Good luck...char

• sarmadsaeed_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I have successfully multiplied amaryllis bulbs into 16-18 bulblets. It was done when the bulb was at the end of dormancy, that is, 15 January in Pakistan. The bulb was divided into 16 with a sharp sterile knife, with a part of
    basal plate attached with the chips. The chips were submerged in antifungus solution for fifteen minutes. Then some clean sand was sterilized by heating and moisted with sterile water. 1/4th of a new transparent polythene bag was filled with this moist sand. The chips were put in the sand with basal plates touching the sand. After blowing air into the bag, it was let resting in a dark place. After about a month you can see small bubls with green leaves emerging from the basal plates. When it swell to the size of a pea, separate them from the chips and plant outdoor. Sometimes, 16 chips will produce more than 16 bulbs.