Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question-fast life cycle

Posted by chhe 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 19:31

Hi,
I wanted to try out a little hybridizing on plants and I was wondering if anybody could recommend a plant that can be grown indoors that has a really fast life cycle. I had heard that Wisconsin fast plants have a life cycle of 30 days and I was wondering if anybody knows of any plant that has an even faster life cycle than this plant. I heard that alot of weeds have very fast life cycles and so would even be interested in these too. So long as the plant can be grown indoors and that the seeds aren't microscopic. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question-fast life cycle

Cress or watercress can mature in 4 days . I do not know all the details . also the earliest radishes can be harvested in 19 days but it will take longer to go to seed .
check out Kent Whealy's latest seed inventory book . spinach is also quick to go to seed . good luck.

o

Many times you seed plants for sale in paks that are already in bloom. I think some growers have a growth material that accelerates blooming. Perhaps you could use that same material to accelerate the life cycle.

MM

o

I have the same dilema!!! I need a plant with an extremely fast life cycle, this would be easy, if I wasnt requesting a plant that actually produced seed. I would be willing to try fastplants but i need something faster if possible. I want to try forcing mutations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here