Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange cross

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 21:18

An unusual plant is flourishing in the greenhouse - which I built 6-8 years ago as a winter home for a calamondin (miniature orange) I've had for over four decades. Daughter planted one of its seeds and it grew slowly for several years until this summer - when it sprouted 3+' in one season.

A key lime also winters in the GH. Well, it seems that these two go together and my daughter just happened to plant one of its progeny. (My grandaughter loves those thnigs.) The key lime parent has little thorns/spines, but this new hybrid has freakin' harpoons. Spikes 2-3" long! Talk about hybrid vigor....

Now the Wiki entry for calamondin also calls it a "golden lime" so I can see why they might get it on botanically - so to speak. Since both the calamondin and the lime are rather prolific WRT fruit set, this hybrid might do the same. I'm wondering how to prune this oddity.

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange cross

carefully ;) haha.

on a serious note, you might try looking up the directions for both a key lime, and a calamondin, and shoot for something in the middle. I would avoid anything drastic, especially if you want to keep the harpoon creation around. If not, then I would suggest "pruning" it off at the ground :P.

Pictures would be interesting for sure!

o
RE: Strange cross

All citrus will inter-cross. It's been MANY years since I lived in Florida and played with citrus, but if I remember right, there are three genus'; the kumquat series, true citrus and trifoliates. And if I stretch my brain a bit further I seem to recall that calamondin is a cross between a kumquat and one of the true citrus group.

Lastly, nearly all seedling citrus increase in thorniness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here