Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outbreeders and Inbreeders

Posted by sandyofcharlotte none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 21:49

hey!

First time poster here :>

I just want to clarify something - an inbreeder must self pollinate (pollinates itself based on other flowers on the same plant) but an outbreeder requires either a different plant of the same variety or a different variety or in some cases a different species?

Do inbreeders not use pollen from other plants of the same variety as well?

I understand that tomatoes are a natural inbreeder and corn is an natural outbreeder.

Is my thinking correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outbreeders and Inbreeders

Hi Sandy,

"...an inbreeder must self pollinate (pollinates itself based on other flowers on the same plant)..."

It's not so much that the inbreeder must self pollinate, it is just that the design of the inbreeder's flower causes its own pollen to touch the stigma of the flower before any pollen from another flower, even one on the same plant, gets a chance. The process of fertilization of an egg cell by pollination is pretty much a case of "first come, first served".

"Do inbreeders not use pollen from other plants of the same variety as well?"

In many cases, inbreeders could use pollen from other plants of the same variety, but the structure of their flowers is such that their own pollen gets the first chance, which means that the arrival of other pollen is too late.

"I understand that tomatoes are a natural inbreeder and corn is an natural outbreeder. Is my thinking correct? "

Yes.

ZM

o
RE: Outbreeders and Inbreeders

Yes tomatoes and beans tend to be inbreeders but my 7 breeds of tomatoes all cross-bred with my neighbors purebreds thanks to insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here