Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?

Posted by greenfrog VIC Australia (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 08 at 1:35

Hi,
I really love the beautiful flowers of all types of Mandevilla, but unfortunately for me the only one I've found capable of surviving outdoors year round in my climate is Mandevilla laxa. So I was recently wondering if anyone has ever tried crossing this with any of the other varieties with the aim of introducing improved tolerance to cold into the progeny? Is this possible/worth trying or not?
Would like to hear peoples opinions on this, especially if you could explain why it won't/might work out and any ideas that might increase the chances of success.
Thanks!
Daniel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?

I don't know anything about Mandevilla, but it ought to work. First you cross M. laxa with another Mandevilla. Seeds are collected.

The resulting hybrids are grown, and self-pollinated. Seeds are collected.

Now this generation of plants can be tested for cold tolerance. You would want to expose them to enough cold to kill off most, but not all, of the plants.

Hopefully, from these plants you can further develop the cold tolerance and other traits that you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here