Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils from seed

Posted by daffodilhunter 7 NW Alabama (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 03 at 2:05

Hi everybody!

It's time to start thinking about pollinating your daffodils if you want to try growing your own from seed. That takes a long time...from 4-7 years. The longer you wait, the longer it will take to get your own creations.

Here are a few daffs of mine that bloomed in 2002 from seeds planted in 1997. I've got a bigger crop putting on buds now so there will be more!

Y'all email me if you want more info...Sandra

Image link: Daffodils from seed (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils from seed

Wow! Are the pure white ones your own hybrid? I hate the yellow and orange daffodils. Here in the UK, they are every where. I get soooo sick of them sometimes, especally when they finnish flowering. I hear you can get daffodils that flower much quicker than that from seed. I thnk i saw a variety on www.mr-fothergills.com.

o

Send me a couple bulbs from that white daff! I can pay you!

o

When do you harvest your seeds? Do you plant your seeds as harvested, or do you give them a moist cold or other treatment?

Have never grown Daffodils from seed, but have made a few crosses this year using some new split-cup varieties I just planted last year. These and the very tiny cup ones like the poeticus group appeal to me the most.

George

o

Yes, the white ones are from seed too. I have a large collection of late blooming daffodils that are mostly white and some years they make a lot of seed.

However, so far there are only single bulbs of each different seedling...hope the good ones multiply fast! I checked out that website and it's very misleading. No one can get blooms the next year from daffodil seed. The soonest I've ever gotten blooms was 4 years.

I just plant my seeds in the ground sometime between July and September - when I get time - and don't give them any special treatment. It seems that they get enough water over the winter and then hopefully come up the next spring. The first year's leaf is very thin and looks a lot like a wild onion...except the wild onions have a sheath visible above the ground...daffodils don't.

I've picked a few seeds so far this year...will be checking over the weekend to see how many I have. Last year it seemed like every flower I left in the garden made seeds, but I don't expect things to be that plentiful this year will all the rain we had.

Thanks for your interest!

daffodilhunter

o

Regret to report that there won't be any extra daffodil seeds this year. Hardly any made seeds this time...guess because rain washed all the pollen away...maybe next year.

o

OK, so if I collect a few daffodil seed pods, should I split the pod open while it is still grren and juicy, or should I let it shrivel up? Thanks

o

Dead link daffodilhunter. Can you re-post your results as I would love to see it.

I got one to sprout that has been in storage all last winter.

I wonder if since it was self pollinated by the bees if maybe it will look different? I did have other varieties but not a lot.

o

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone had tried to beat the time to bloom.

Using lights and wick watering I got balloon flowers to bloom from seed in one year.

I wonder if anyone had ever tried to figure out what triggers the bloom/growing cycle for daffs? Is it day length,or temps, or some other unknown variable?

I find the so called experts are often people that just accept the status quo as the norm! Creative minds look for and find solutions!

:) John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here