Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmountains_gardener

Hybridizing Hydrangeas

I searched for information on hybridizing hydrangeas, both on GardenWeb and Google, but didn't find very much information. I found one old thread on GardenWeb, but it didn't have much.

I am fairly new to gardening. I planted my first hydrangeas last year (Endless Summer and Blushing Bride). I would like, if possible, to cross pollinate them to see if anything interesting comes about. I know that these two plants are patented, so I guess I should ask first if it is even legal to cross pollinate them?

I've read in a few places that most flowers on mopheads are sterile. Is that right? If so, is there a way to recognize flowers that are fertile? My guess is that would be one of the hardest parts of hybridizing hydrangeas.

After finding fertile flowers, what are the next steps? I suppose it would be basically the same as all other plants: cut the flower from one plant and use it to pollinate the other, wait for the seeds to mature, and plant the seeds.

Do hydrangea seeds need special requirements to germinate, such as a certain dormancy period, lightness/darkness, stratification, heat, etc.

Also, how long would it take to grow a hydrangea from seed to bloom?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz