Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

Nasturtium questions - Tropaeolum majus/minus

hermitonthehill
17 years ago

I managed to get myself fairly well confused when doing some research this morning when a variety of Nasturium that I thought was Tropaeolum majus came up listed by one site as Tropaeolum minus - other sites cite T. majus. Can anyone tell me what the difference, if any, is between T. majus and T. minus? Or was it just a typo on the one site?

I'm contending with a borrowed laptop right now that is incredibly slow despite DSL, so I figured it would also be faster and easier to get some answers to questions if I just broke down and posted them here. Hope you all don't mind.

I know that Nasturiums are capable of cross-pollinating/open-pollinators, but are they self-sterile or can they self-pollinate with "perfect flowers" or from other blooms on the same plant?

I'd like to tinker with some ideas in hybridizing for a new strain with some specific trait-goals in order to create strain(s) as "in memory" variety/ies with these edible flowers.

Of the "Alaska" variety that is commercially available, the blooms have a range of colours but is that because they don't bother to separate by bloom colour and just sell them in mixed lots OR because each seed has the genetics to be any colour in that range?

In respect to colour GENETICS, is there any application of "blending" or "mixing" like one would with, for lack of a better comparison, paints or is it strictly regulated by dominant colour genes? (I can "do" animal colour and pattern genetics to know my possibilities, but I'm clueless on plant colour & pattern genetics) What whites, blues, purples, or pink/rose (not red-red) varieties would you all cite as being your preferred choices and for what rason? (deep/dark colouring, "clear", pastel, form such as doubles, etc.)

Any insight, answers, and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)