Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chemical mutagen treatment of seed

Posted by jawstheshark1969 z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 12:29

I am looking for someone who has some experience using sodium azide or other chemical mutagens to treat the seeds of woody ornamentals. The intent is to find some interesting recessive traits in the prodogy (not really a hybrid, but this forum seemed the closest to my topic). Anyone with experience can email me at brianshrm@hotmail.com. Much literature is available for corn and barley, but I am interested in discussing this topic with others who have dealt with woody plants and mutagens.

Thanks,
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chemical mutagen treatment of seed

Do a search over in the rose propagation forum. There was a thread on using surflan as a mutagen a while back.

o

Just today I was at the Land Institute and talked to someone who has used sodium azide. I didn't know you were interested, so I didn't tell him to rush the info. Sorry. But it is on its way to me, then to you.

o

I'm interested as well.

o

I've used colchicine on a few things. It really does mess over the plants and drops your viability to about 1%. It produced much more compact plants when I tried it on assorted matthiola & Consolida species. I tried it as a paint on somatic treatment on Salvia splendens ( with DMSO added ) and got a bit of variation in leaf shape and flower shape but nothing hugely dramatic.

o

Absent,

I've heard about the use of colchicine, but haven't used any myself. Where did you purchase it? It can also be used as a bud mutagen too I believe (can be applied directly to inmature buds of a plant).

JAWS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here